Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm removing the bb out of my frame it has older lx hollowtech crankarms with isis drive.

went to the lbs and i should have gone straight to the repair techs but i was serviced by the sales guys as soon as i browsed the tool selection and they didnt seem completely readduringly knowledgable after explaining my setup and i walked out with a crank arm puller and the bb tool with a socket having teeth on the outerside end.

i have what looks like a locking ring on the non drive side with 8 divets but also the teeth on the inside on either end (only non drive end has locking rings)

i got both crank arms off with the pulled, so what i need to know now is,

it seems like the non drive end can be removed with either the locking ring tool or the bb cup removal socket with teeth on the outside. correct?

non drive side has conventional thread and drive side opposite correct?

thanks much guys, first bb removal. ;P

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
sm4k said:
i'm removing the bb out of my frame it has older lx hollowtech crankarms with isis drive.

went to the lbs and i should have gone straight to the repair techs but i was serviced by the sales guys as soon as i browsed the tool selection and they didnt seem completely readduringly knowledgable after explaining my setup and i walked out with a crank arm puller and the bb tool with a socket having teeth on the outerside end.

i have what looks like a locking ring on the non drive side with 8 divets but also the teeth on the inside on either end (only non drive end has locking rings)

i got both crank arms off with the pulled, so what i need to know now is,

it seems like the non drive end can be removed with either the locking ring tool or the bb cup removal socket with teeth on the outside. correct?

non drive side has conventional thread and drive side opposite correct?

thanks much guys, first bb removal. ;P
Pics would help. And look at the repair guides at parktool.com

Shimano has never make an ISIS crank. Their splined system is Octalink, which may or manly not use different tools.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
appreciate the reply but thats not really helpful.

why?

parktool says:

"The Shimano® Ultegra Hollow Tech I bottom bracket uses the same 20-tooth pattern on both left and right cups. The eight external notches on the cup flange are not used for removal. "

so why do i need the tool?

i'm guessing its for adjustment after arms are installed?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.