Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a tricky question but how about the torque amount on the BB cups into the frame?

Don´t got a torque wrench for the job, got the Pedros wrench with tool for BB cup.

Is it easy to torque this to hard and cause damage to the thread in the frame?

Heard about this one guy that didn´t pull it up tight enough, wich cause it to wiggle and destroy the thread that way!

Thanks for tips and tricks!

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Unless you're a silverback, it would be a little hard to over-tighen your BB. I would also suggest the parktool website. FYI, the limits might not be the same for all BB as well.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
the propper torque is 18 in/umpfh for any BB..

That is an 18 inch bar and a one good umpfh. Been using that setting for BBs for 20 years. My arms are regularly calibrated to the standard umpfh however...

BTW in my experience, the tool interface will give way long before you risk thread dammage (assuming good threads and propper threading...anti-sieze, etc).

·
Its got what plants crave
5,933 Posts
pinknugget said:
Just tight enough so that it doesn't spin itself free. Which I have found tends to be pretty tight. I think DaveP has it right with the 18 in/umph... works for me.
I'm reasonably sure that my FSA cranks spec'd something like 18-25 inch pounds which is NOT what I would consider "pretty tight." That said, I doubt it would hurt anything as long as you don't put your impact wrench on it or something.

·
Cyclist of Borg
234 Posts
i was asking thgis question about all parts for my Jekyll. i got an answer from a cannondale factory builder. he sent me specs for all mainstream parts.
Pm me if wanted

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Jim311 said:
I'm reasonably sure that my FSA cranks spec'd something like 18-25 inch pounds which is NOT what I would consider "pretty tight." That said, I doubt it would hurt anything as long as you don't put your impact wrench on it or something.
Sure that's not foot lbs? That seems way too light. My Race face is 300-360 inch lbs which is equal to 25-30 foot lbs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.