Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
~~~~~~~~
5,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after seeing 0 replies to Bikezillas tool question in the tool forum....

Looking for methods and experience with outboard BB bearing removal and installation.

my non drive side gravity light/mega exo bearing had a very short life.

TIA. going to try and get a seal off and free it up for the weekend at least.

·
mr. wonderful
879 Posts
Phil makes a tool to remove and repress bearings in outboard BB cups. They also sell some pretty nice bearings. I have used it several times to replace the crappy Shimano bearings with Phil bearings. I can't say for sure, but I don't know why it wouldn't work on any outboard BB cup. I haven't had a Phil bearing crap out yet, but with the new King BBs, I think your money is better spent there. If I'm not mistaken the cost of the Phil tool is about the same as a King BB.

Swing by and I'll let you borrow it. ;)

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
I was able to flush and relube my Shimano XT and XTR BB bearings no problem. I have not tried to dismantle my FSA Gravity BBs yet. I figure most things that can be built can be unbuilt.

Use a small screwdriver and possibly a pen-knife or xacto to pry up the dust covers/seals. Flush it with degreaser and or WD40 to free up the bearings, then blow them dry with compressed air. You migh want to try repacking them using a grease gun and Marine grease...that stuff really lasts. I use it in my Highline pivots.

I'll gladly do it for you if you send me three round trip airline tickets. (I'll need my wife and kid's assistance).

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
knockin out the old bearings without a tool like the enduro is gonna make it tough. im sure it can be done with a socket or 3 but the risk of dingin the cups seems high. id go with zillas flush trick in yer situation. the gxp's also use a internal spacer between the bearing and spindle on the non drive side. enduro does not provide this part with its bearing kit so be prepared to reuse the old 1.

im colser than zilla too. stop by and use my enduro tools but bring beer.

·
Registered
10,126 Posts
If you are looking at replacing the bearings it is a piece of cake to pound them out of the shells. Typically use a vice w soft jawas to hold the bb shells, but in a pinch a bike stand can clamp em as well. Use a flat blade screwdriver and a hammer, tap around (not one side the whole time) and done.

Use the old bearing to press the new one in.

If you are going to be doing lots then the enduro tool is really nice....

·
~~~~~~~~
5,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
good stuff, thanks.
I pried off seal and there is grease in there and it doesn't look bad, but it was hard to get it to break free. Squirted fresh grease in with the gun but it's still binding. Guess I should get serious with the flush and try again.

I hadn't considered the King versus the price of tools.... but I'll still want to salvage this BB so tools and replacement bearings will need to happen. Phils tools or Enduros? How about the bigger enduro bearings that eliminates the sleeve?

It's wet season and I've got a backlog of bearing work already.

·
Banned
1,443 Posts
I've replaced bearings in Shimano and Race Face external BBs before... really easy. I used a hammer & punch to tap them out. And a bench vise to push news ones back in. Nothing special and it's much easier than you think, just take your time and don't go nuts, couple of taps at a time then move just like you'd tap out a headset w/o the proper tool.

p.s. I haven't tried replacing truvativ or any other other brand

·
Banned
4,278 Posts
Since you have FSA cups, FSA does sell a BB bearing removal tool on their website that is actually quite reasonable (compared to the Phil and Enduro tools). I've got a set of Phils that I'm going to press in to my gravity cups when the bearings go bad.

·
otb club member
3,087 Posts
cactuscorn said:
the gxp's also use a internal spacer between the bearing and spindle on the non drive side. enduro does not provide this part with its bearing kit so be prepared to reuse the old 1.
Can't speak for what you get in a "GXP" kit through other sources, but if you buy a GXP bearing kit from my site, the new non-drive bearing comes with the inner race extender ("internal spacer") pre-installed on the bearing.

Attachments

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
airwreck said:
I pried off seal and there is grease in there and it doesn't look bad, but it was hard to get it to break free. Squirted fresh grease in with the gun but it's still binding. Guess I should get serious with the flush and try again.
Yes, get flushing. I've seen grease in seized bearings before. You need to clean those puppies out to get a look at the bearings and to feel how they turn in a bare race. Soak and flush em with degreaser, wash em, then flood them with WD40 and try to work them into motion. If they start to turn and get less gritty & crunchy then you probably only needed to work off the rust. If they stay notchy, then maybe you've got some damaged bearings or races. If they're good then pack them with marine grease. Note that stuff is sticky and will turn more slowly at first.

airwreck said:
I hadn't considered the King versus the price of tools.... but I'll still want to salvage this BB so tools and replacement bearings will need to happen. Phils tools or Enduros? How about the bigger enduro bearings that eliminates the sleeve?

It's wet season and I've got a backlog of bearing work already.
I'm not buyin into the King BB deal yet. Not until I've seen some long term feedback. 1-2mo means little. If anyone can make a good long-lasting BB CK can but ever since their BS 150mm hub alignment and BS attitude about it, they'll have to prove their quality to me on any new product...Like everyone else.

·
~~~~~~~~
5,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Bikezilla said:
Yes, get flushing...
I got so many bearings in need right now, I've been doing this with most of my bearings instead of replacing. You should hear my CK headset after the same ride that did in the BB. I've got some cool waterproof grease, but I can't find a supplier now, it's red and sounds a little hi-techier than the marine wheel bearing grease. Thats one of the problems of no off season, I keep falling farther and farther behind with maintenance and repairs, I literally have to be completely unable to roll before I take action :p.

I'm leaning towards the Enduro products since Chris was nice enough to reply here :). I'll get the tools since I want to remove and reuse bearings. Think I need one of these.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
40,291 Posts
AW_ said:
I've replaced bearings in Shimano and Race Face external BBs before... really easy. I used a hammer & punch to tap them out. And a bench vise to push news ones back in. Nothing special and it's much easier than you think, just take your time and don't go nuts, couple of taps at a time then move just like you'd tap out a headset w/o the proper tool.

p.s. I haven't tried replacing truvativ or any other other brand
Yep. If you know how to remove bearings, it's no different.

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
edit: nevermind all i was gonna say here chris. best done with a email. check yers please.

in short, the 4 enduro gxp kits i have in our shop do not include the shim/internal spacer/inner race extender/whatever. checkin yer site, things have changed since october.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
40,291 Posts
cactuscorn said:
bad post. mtbr tried to dbl me up.
Stop looking for attention.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.