Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, before anybody shoots me, I did a search and it would appear that the search function isn't working, as it gave me every thread in this forum. Here's my situation:

I'm doing a budget build and just got a great deal on two BB 7 calipers. I'm looking to get rotors, and I have a strong preference for the Avid clean sweep rotors. I'm keeping my eyes open for deals on ebay and mtbr classifieds. The 160mm rotors go fast and typically command a premium. I can get the older 165mm rotors relatively cheaply, but my understanding is that they are for the older pre-2001 style BBDB calipers. Can anyone give me clarification on whether or not this is the case? Will the 165mm rotors fit my BB7 calipers? (Shiggy-you around?).

Lastly, if I can't find Avid clean sweeps, can someone recommend an inexpensive aftermarket rotor that is of decent quality? Should I even worry about it? Are all stainless steel rotors pretty much suitable for XC riding applications? The bike is going to be used for non-aggressive singletrack. It's basically going to be used to get some cardio on local trails and I don't anticipate bringing this bike on rides where the calipers and rotors are going to be exposed to extreme riding conditions (except of course, 250 lbs of rider weight).

Please feel free to comment as you see fit.

Bob

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Nate

Speedub.Nate said:
You can easily use the 165mm rotors with your current calipers by placing a 2-3mm spacer or washer stack between the caliper and CPS hardware. It'll work just fine.
Looks like another bidder wants these more than I do. I'll keep looking.

Any other suggestions? I'm coming across a lot of aftermarket rotors on ebay and while I am trying to build this bike on a budget, I also want to make sure I have the BB7's paired up with a rotor that will work well with them. My logical mind tells me a piece of stainless steel is a piece of stainless steel. Another part of me says to stick with what has been proven to work (i.e. buy the clean sweep).

Bob

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
My wife is running some custom "wavy" HopeTech rotors that have been silent and trouble-free with her Avid mechs. I've got 2.0mm thick Rohloff rotors on two of our Avid-equipped bikes (I believe manufactured by Magura).

The only rotors I've really read any complaints about are Avid's own Galfer knock-off.

·
Ride on
639 Posts
Warp said:
What about Hayes' rotors?... cheap, good quality. Completely compatible with your BB7's.
I have a couple of the V-cut 6" rotors and they seem fine. I would avoid the older Hayes rotors with no notches on the outer edge. On my bike they wore unevenly and I had to replace them along with the pads.

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
I've got the v-cut 203mm rotors. They're much better than the old round rotors. As you said, they wore unevenly (more towards the center where there's less material). The notch around the edge also helps clean the pads and draws cool air through the caliper.

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Blew my chance

Well, I did the bonehead thing and blew my chance on the 165mm clean sweeps. Could have had themn for $27.00 shipped, but someonen else pulled the trigger while my pistol was still in it's holster. I'll keep looking.

Thanks for all the advice, folks. I'll keep everyon'e comments in mind as I continue the search. I keep coming back to the clean sweeps for some reason. I must be getting old, as I keep telling myself to go with what you know works, and don't take any chances.

No money until end of month now, so I can bide my time.

Bob

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Case closed

The seller who had the 165mm clean sweep rotors on ebay apparently has more. I got two new, including mounting bolts for $25.00 shipped. Now I can sleep. Wait...no I can't. I have to find 3mm washers per Nate. It's always something with a new build....

Thanks for everyone's input. As always, it's appreciated.

Bob

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
Call_me_Clyde said:
The seller who had the 165mm clean sweep rotors on ebay apparently has more. I got two new, including mounting bolts for $25.00 shipped. Now I can sleep. Wait...no I can't. I have to find 3mm washers per Nate. It's always something with a new build....

Thanks for everyone's input. As always, it's appreciated.

Bob
E-zy.

Go to the hardware store and get some plain normal washers for the caliper bolts (sorry, can't remember size). I found that some cheapo vee brake pads have with them this 1mm thick washers, in the proper diameters. So I assume this size is fairly standard, but I can't say it's a fact.

Actually, I ran out of shims for my Julies and used one of those at the rear caliper. Get four of them.

Then, just get shims for caliper alignment from the LBS. They should have them for the works they do or they can get you some from Jagwire, Shimano and Magura.

The standard thickness of these are 0.2mm (don't ask me how much is that in inches, please)... get enough to make 0.4 or 0.6mm of shims foar each post and off you go.

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks bro!

Warp said:
E-zy.

Go to the hardware store and get some plain normal washers for the caliper bolts (sorry, can't remember size). I found that some cheapo vee brake pads have with them this 1mm thick washers, in the proper diameters. So I assume this size is fairly standard, but I can't say it's a fact.

Actually, I ran out of shims for my Julies and used one of those at the rear caliper. Get four of them.

Then, just get shims for caliper alignment from the LBS. They should have them for the works they do or they can get you some from Jagwire, Shimano and Magura.

The standard thickness of these are 0.2mm (don't ask me how much is that in inches, please)... get enough to make 0.4 or 0.6mm of shims foar each post and off you go.
The calipers I purchased have the shims for caliper alignment. Should these be the same for the calipers regardless of rotor size?

Bob

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
Call_me_Clyde said:
The calipers I purchased have the shims for caliper alignment. Should these be the same for the calipers regardless of rotor size?

Bob
If the bolts have the same diameter, then yeah, they'll work.
Put them together trying to match the threads... if the threads fit, they're same diameter, same thread.

Do they came with shims? Weird. Avids don't need them.

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Maybe I'm confused

Warp said:
If the bolts have the same diameter, then yeah, they'll work.
Put them together trying to match the threads... if the threads fit, they're same diameter, same thread.

Do they came with shims? Weird. Avids don't need them.
I think we're talking about different washers/shims. I have all the mounting hardware and washer/s shims that come with the calipers. I just need the additional washers/shims so that the rotor sits a few mm higher in order to accommodate the larger rotor. I hope this clears things up. If not, don't reply again, you'll only confuse me more..LOL!!!

Bob, the confused clyde.

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
Call_me_Clyde said:
I think we're talking about different washers/shims. I have all the mounting hardware and washer/s shims that come with the calipers. I just need the additional washers/shims so that the rotor sits a few mm higher in order to accommodate the larger rotor. I hope this clears things up. If not, don't reply again, you'll only confuse me more..LOL!!!

Bob, the confused clyde.
Those were the same I gave you directions for in my post (the one I started with "E-zy")

Your rotors are 5mm larger in diameter. Then you need 2.5mm worth of washers additional to the CPS mounting hardware (the thingies that come with the caliper).
You only need a washer of 2mm (or two of 1mm that I think they're easier to find)... and then to complete the remaining 0.5mm, you can use caliper alignment washers (the paper thin ones used to align IS calipers).

If you go to only 2mm or 3mm of washers/shims (additional to the CPS mounting hardware) to mount your caliper, you may end up with the caliper biting too outwards on the rotor or with the rotor rubbing the bottom of the caliper slot or the pads separating spring.

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
No need to get overly precise with 0.2mm shim washers (unless you want to).

In this case, "close enough" will do.

Good, clean install would be to get a slim concave brake pad washer (which would be identical to an Avid CPS washer) and mount it, flat side up, between the caliper and CPS hardware. That way you avoid a messy washer stack.

You can shim from there if you choose.

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Warp and Nate

Crystal clear now. No longer confused. Wait...yes I am...no...I'm not.

I'll see if I can't scare up some washers from Home depot. My guess is that if i go to the LBS, the CPS washers will cost $2.50 apiece. :rolleyes:

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
Call_me_Clyde said:
Crystal clear now. No longer confused. Wait...yes I am...no...I'm not.

I'll see if I can't scare up some washers from Home depot. My guess is that if i go to the LBS, the CPS washers will cost $2.50 apiece. :rolleyes:
You can find the same spherical washers used on CPS hardware on cheapo vee-brake pads.

If you're willing to wait, I have plenty of them off from now-unused vee pads, that I can mail you. Seriously, I should have at least two or three of those.

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'll take 'em

Warp said:
You can find the same spherical washers used on CPS hardware on cheapo vee-brake pads.

If you're willing to wait, I have plenty of them off from now-unused vee pads, that I can mail you. Seriously, I should have at least two or three of those.
I'm in no rush. I'll email you with my new home address.

Thanks, Bro

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.