Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read and participated in tons of threads here over the hears, and I've noticed a general sentiment of negativity with the current state of trail acess in the Bay Area (myself included).

I'm curious, what is your main criticisms of MTB access or other trail issues in the BA?

I'll start: 1) Lack of access in my home region (Santa Cruz County). 2) General lack of downhill/freeride specific trails in the greater area.

·
Hella Olde
2,541 Posts
Hears and hears go by, but access to public land for bikes remains unfairly restrictive. The Bay Area is the opposite of progressive in this regard. Most people have given up trail advocacy, moved away, or are poaching. Most - not all.

·
Registered
381 Posts
In the East Bay (where I live), it's few trails, few mtb specific trails, trail overcrowding, and limited access to trails.

The number of NEW trails built by EBRPD over the last 20 year is minuscule - I'm talking any type of trail. Also, most ST trails in EBRPD are illegal to MTB's. This despite a huge increase in trail users (by foot and bikes). Great examples are Tilden/Wildcat, Chabot, Briones and Redwood which have numerous fire roads and some ST (most illegal for bikes). In Redwood, there is geographic capacity to have a single track trail bordering East Ridge.

EBMUD has some trails for hikers and equestrians by permit only but bikes are illegal. There are huge swaths of land owned by EBMUD where there is no access. I seem to recall that a few years ago there was some discussion at EBMUD about opening a few trails on a trial basis.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Honestly with the exception of the santa cruz org we are not organized in any meaningful way. Even in santa cruz it is a big struggle and lately the situation has gone downhill a bit.

In the East Bay other user groups tend to not want us out there, add in some level of trail conflict aggravated by a few of us adding more to this then is needed and the building of illegal trail leads us here.

Why would the parks put work into providing access with this backdrop----they only will get grief from other users.

Sad situation for sure but does anyone see it changing

·
mtb'er
4,289 Posts
16 years ago... :nono: :crazy:

"Consider if you will, hikers and equestrians are able to enjoy the beauty of watershed lands without having to stop. Bicyclists, on the other hand, must keep moving regardless of who or what is in front of them or they will fall off their bikes. Hence their contribution to enjoyment of the watershed areas is tearing around at a mad pace."

Text Photograph White Style Font

Yep... he's still there: https://www.ebmud.com/about-us/board-directors/your-board-members/ward-7/

·
mtb'er
4,289 Posts
Until a generation dies, I don't see much changing.
Those fuggers live way too long! 1994: https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1994-04-10-tm-44146-story.html

Phelan says. "We throw out these ideas, searching for some middle ground, but we get nothing in response, nothing. So we'll just have to outlive them."

Yeah... that was "only" 25 years ago :rolleyes:

In my educated opinion, trail access for MTB could be better in roughly 2030-40... assuming all the anticipated deaths and the rise of land managers who grew up with mountain bikes as part of every day life take place. But the rise of ebikes could delay that for another 30+ years :skep:

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
I cant agree more, until this older generation die off, there wont be much changes. How many mtb haters we know are our generation? Not much.

Is usually the grumpy grey hair man or that lady well into her age that is giving rider hassle or leaving questionable objects on the trail for us to hit. Perhaps along the way a mtb rider did something, and that ruined it for all. I regularly have to remove this from my local pump track trail.

In general, trail issues are the lack of willingness for land owning organizations to negotiate, misunderstandings that tire mark in a puddle that dried up equals trail damage, and the worst of it all, that 15 mph speed limit. How abou all runners are required to run not faster than walking pace while mimicing the running motion?

·
F*** it
1,277 Posts
I don't complain (much) anymore, I just ride. And I'm a shirt-wearing member of MBOSC and throw money at them whenever they ask, like their latest fundraiser that just ended this week. Did it even get posted here?!

·
Registered
689 Posts
This is why I was sad to see Davey Simon move. Whatever you think, he is exactly what is needed in the Bay Area to change things. Change will not happen otherwise. Sometimes it takes an all out aggressive approach to make change happen. Just take a look into past history in America.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Well the East Bay's only trail advocacy group, BTCEB, is probably the most limp dick organization I can think of.
Have you volunteered with BTCEB, donated money to support their work? This org is all volunteers and has done alot with ebrpd mostly at crocket hills and fernandez ranch. What have you done to help the cause?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
562 Posts
Have you volunteered with BTCEB, donated money to support their work? This org is all volunteers and has done alot with ebrpd mostly at crocket hills and fernandez ranch. What have you done to help the cause?

I personally have. And was part of the board that went along with the EBRPD's BOD rope-a-dope. Where the strung us along, making grandiose offers of access after plans were put forth, BOD field trips to observe multi-use trial options, rider/equestrian kumbaya's - you name it and BTCEB went right along. Only to get directly denied by board votes. Sound familiar Davey? The anger from that meeting still riles up my PTSD

Fast forward to this century and there are trails in EBRPD's that make Crockett Hills and other legal options about as exciting as commute hour on the 101. You just have to know where.

@loll, I hope your grandparents don't hike or if they do, they're courteous and cover that grey hair, it's obviously triggering

·
Registered
1,333 Posts

I don't donate to BTCEB. I do donate to several other trail organizations who have proven to be effective. BTCEB goes for the low hanging fruit 95% of the time, and has not been effective overall in my opinion. Crockett Hills is one of the worst trail networks I've ridden, and it being the crowning achievement after 20+ years of existence is just sad.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
The problem is that in waiting for an older gen. to "die off", a YOUNGER generation of S.Club people, millennials, mostly, are coming up to take their bike-hating place.
It's like a small segment of the U.S. population is enacting a neo-Victorian era in this small segment of our society. I have many friends who are nearing 40 who definitely would be happier if I was not out there sharing the trails with them.
How do you fix that?

·
Registered
382 Posts
Yeah not to pile on but it seems BTCEB has done very little with the money I have donated in the past. I agree that Crockett Hills is super disappointing considering the amount of land and blank canvas they had to build some potentially awesome trails. I'm only 20 minutes away but it's so far down the list of places I want/like to ride. On the other hand, BTC has done a good job maintaining my home trails at JMP so I can't complain too much.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.