Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have beta on self shuttling locally? North Bay, Peninsula, South, wherever.

How's the Aptos/Demo service?

Feel free to PM for stealth.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
F*** it
1,277 Posts
Anyone have beta on self shuttling locally? North Bay, Peninsula, South, wherever.

The Epicenter/Aptos shuttle is fine, but it doesn't help you for Demo. If you use it I highly recommend Burger Dot (burger.) post-ride!

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I have a better idea: lose some weight and actually ride that expensive piece of garbage you wasted your money on.
I weigh 140 lbs soaking wet so if I lost any weight there wouldn't be much left. And my 5010 is quite nice and gets ridden regularly. And to the contrary one of the best, albeit used and more affordable, investments I've made.

The query isn't really for me, I pedal the **** out of the trails around here. It's for some friends of mine that are putting together some rides and looking for an interesting day to engineer. They don't ride a lot and I'd rather not trash them.

Bit of a f*ck-all response with knowing basically nothing about me.

·
Mtbr Founder
35,500 Posts

Aptos shuttle is not that good since it does not help climb Demo much.

It helps with Aptos creek road which is a 12 mile fire road descent

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
When I've ridden Demo I typically self shuttle the first climb. We typically do Flow, then pedal up Suffer Springs and then do Braille. I think it takes the day from like 4k of climbing to like 2500. I'm pretty sure there is a service that does it as well. I've never used it. You don't need a 4wd vehicle to get up that first climb. We've driven up there in a Subura to pick up my truck post ride. You just have to go a lot slower.

·
Registered
497 Posts
When I've ridden Demo I typically self shuttle the first climb. We typically do Flow, then pedal up Suffer Springs and then do Braille. I think it takes the day from like 4k of climbing to like 2500. I'm pretty sure there is a service that does it as well. I've never used it. You don't need a 4wd vehicle to get up that first climb. We've driven up there in a Subura to pick up my truck post ride. You just have to go a lot slower.
I think your numbers are accurate. Last time I rode demo we pedalled from the parking lot up to ridge, hit Braille first then up suffer and down flow before grinding our way back to the car. Was surprised when strava read 4000' of climbing for that ride as it didn't feel like that much but I guess thats what it is.

·
Registered
150 Posts
If parking at the lot (no shuttle) how long, in miles, and time, or how much torcher are the climbs in and out to get back to the parking lot to ride Braille and flow trail?

·
Registered
291 Posts
If parking at the lot (no shuttle) how long, in miles, and time, or how much torcher are the climbs in and out to get back to the parking lot to ride Braille and flow trail?
Really depends on the rider. If I do that ride I can get it done in about 2-2.5 hours. If you do the round-about climb for flow that climb is fairly mellow, it is the climb out of the bottom of flow up sulphur to braille that is ~40 minutes of hell. And then you have to climb out of the bottom of braille to get back to your car. One of my fav rides, but bring water and CO2, you are deep in the woods!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Really depends on the rider. If I do that ride I can get it done in about 2-2.5 hours. If you do the round-about climb for flow that climb is fairly mellow, it is the climb out of the bottom of flow up sulphur to braille that is ~40 minutes of hell. And then you have to climb out of the bottom of braille to get back to your car. One of my fav rides, but bring water and CO2, you are deep in the woods!
Is the whole ride 2-2.5 hours or is that all climbing time?

·
Registered
6,298 Posts
That's fast! I'd say for the average rider, the basic flow loop from the lot, up buzzards, down ridge, flow, up hihns etc is about 2.5hours, especially your first time there could be more like 3 hours. Add the braile loop, another hour, so about 3.5 hours total minumum.

Yep! Bring water, food, tools, and if you ride alone an inReach or other communication device. There is no cell signal up there except in one spot at the top. If you break something on the Flow or Braile trail or other point far from the lot, it is a very long walk out. It is much longer if you're injured, and alone.

·
Registered
150 Posts
This would be my first time riding there and would probably be riding solo. Buddies bike is not in running order. So am I crazy to do these trails solo for the first time? I’m not the best climber, but I’ll get there eventually. Is Braille like full face, full pads type trail? Are the trails marked or is it easy to get lost if unfamiliar with the area? Can’t wait to try my Nomad 4 with new Fox DHX2 coil on it. Thanks

·
Mtbr Founder
35,500 Posts
Flow and Braille laps (up Buzzards and up Sulphur) is about a 3300 foot climb. Shuttling the road and fire road cuts out about 600-800 feet of the climb depending on how close you park to the locked gate. Really not advisable on weekends since there are so many cyclists and the lots dust kicked up by vehicles.

Takes about 3-3.5 hours.

·
Registered
6,298 Posts
This would be my first time riding there and would probably be riding solo. Buddies bike is not in running order. So am I crazy to do these trails solo for the first time? I'm not the best climber, but I'll get there eventually. Is Braille like full face, full pads type trail? Are the trails marked or is it easy to get lost if unfamiliar with the area? Can't wait to try my Nomad 4 with new Fox DHX2 coil on it. Thanks
If alone, I'd ride it for the first time on a weekend day, not during the week. Lots of people there on the weekends. Also parts are closed during the week for work this season, but all is open on the weekend. The only trail that is easy to miss is Ridge trail, it's directly across from the bench at the top of Aptos Creek Fire Rd.

None of the trails are full face types, unless you ride them fast enough to be. I'd probably recommend wearing knee pads, but I rarely do.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.