Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, after reading many positive reviews I bit the bullet and purchased a 1up bike rack earlier this year. I wanted something very durable that was also easy to use. After using it throughout the winter fat biking I find myself really disliking the way the arms rachet to unlock, its not intuitive to use and I feel like I'm breaking it every time I try to loosen it to get my bikes off.

I've now turned my attention to the vertical bike racks. Does anyone have a favorite that they like to use? The only requirement is that it has to fit fat bikes.

Currently, i'm looking at:
VelociRAX
Lolo Racks
North Shore Racks

·
Your Best Friend
5,298 Posts
Velocirax by far. If you look at any of those in a side by side comparison, you'd come to the same conclusion.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Hey everyone, after reading many positive reviews I bit the bullet and purchased a 1up bike rack earlier this year. I wanted something very durable that was also easy to use. After using it throughout the winter fat biking I find myself really disliking the way the arms rachet to unlock, its not intuitive to use and I feel like I'm breaking it every time I try to loosen it to get my bikes off.

I've now turned my attention to the vertical bike racks. Does anyone have a favorite that they like to use? The only requirement is that it has to fit fat bikes.

VelociRAX
Lolo Racks
North Shore Racks
Is that the only reason you're going to vertical racks? I'm wondering what makes you feel it's not intuitive to use. Also, the bike will stick out much further, and seems like not the best option if you are only carrying one bike. There are other tray mount rear carriers besides `1up. Thule makes a great one with a different securing mechinism that you may prefer.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I don't have first hand experience but came across these pages when I was looking into racks a couple of months ago:

Just doing a quick skim right now it looks like Recon racks are mentioned in both threads and isn't on your current list. Not sure if you already considered it.

·
All fat, all the time.
9,016 Posts

VelociRAX
Lolo Racks
North Shore Racks
Are you tightening it too much?
If you push on the arm(like you are tightening it against the tire) it will allow the release handle to work much easier.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
69 Posts
Lolo rack has been working very well for us.
It is a good fit for our Toyota sienna minivan. we can tilt the rack to fully open the van’s hatch with or without bikes loaded - nice for camping, grocery store trips etc...
I like that the tilt mechanism seems sturdy simple and unlikely to break. It is a pin that you pull out and then insert into different sets of holes to achieve a different position. A cable keeps the pin attached to the rack so you don’t lose it and there is a clip that inserts on the end of the pin to keep it in place.
We use it to carry two 29er’s, a 24” a 20” . I like that it works well for the kids bikes and adult bikes.
I wipe any dust & grit out of the handlebar cradles before loading the bikes & have not seen any damage to the bars – nicest set of bars we have is SQ lab carbon.
We’ve gone on drives as long as a few hours and the bikes stayed secure to The rack using only the included bungees. the rack does not seem to sway much in our draw-tite hitch.
I can’t directly compare to the others mentioned by the OP. I would recommend the lolo based on our experience

·
change is good
3,220 Posts

VelociRAX
Lolo Racks
North Shore Racks
???????

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
beater
5,933 Posts
I have a Velocirax 5X and it works well for us. Relevant to this conversation:

The stock baskets on a Velocirax won’t accommodate fat tires. They do sell fat baskets. I assume Recon is the same.

NSRs (and the similar Yakima) are intended for suspension forks. They don’t work well with some rigid forks.

The Lolo’s handlebar carry is probably the most versatile.

I also have a 1-Up with the fatbike spacers, and use that for our fatbikes in the winter. I don’t want to use a stainless steel rack in winter conditions.

·
Registered
9,329 Posts
Is that the only reason you're going to vertical racks? I'm wondering what makes you feel it's not intuitive to use. Also, the bike will stick out much further, and seems like not the best option if you are only carrying one bike. There are other tray mount rear carriers besides `1up. Thule makes a great one with a different securing mechinism that you may prefer.
What makes you think a vertical rack has 4 bikes sticking out further than 4 on a traditional rack?
I'm wondering if you've actually seen a vertical rack in person.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I’ve been happy with my North Shore 4 rack. I bought it because it’s simple, strong, somewhat light compared to some others. I only have mountain bikes and it works with my kids 24” hotrock. Bikes don’t stick out that far behind the car. Definitely much less than if I were using tray racks.

is it perfect? No. It’s gonna probably scratch fork crown. But I don’t think a perfect rack exists- they all have some strengths and weaknesses.

I also like how quick it is to load and unload.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
What makes you think a vertical rack has 4 bikes sticking out further than 4 on a traditional rack?
He never mentioned carrying 4 bikes...actually never mentioned carrying more than just his. So my recommendation (as seen above) was specific to carrying one bike. But I didn't assume either way, which is why I asked my initial question. And yes, I have seen a vertical rack. :) For all I know, he could have the 1 bike carrier from 1 up...and yes, a vertical rack system would stick out more than that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm watching this thread too, and to learn the options...

Bikes don’t stick out that far behind the car. Definitely much less than if I were using tray racks.
The above is my major consideration. 4 bikes on a platform seems it would extend quite a bit and perhaps become an issue.

is it perfect? No. It’s gonna probably scratch fork crown. But I don’t think a perfect rack exists- they all have some strengths and weaknesses.
Any issues for carbon forks?

Any better options for 4 bikes?

·
OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
4,366 Posts
We have the Northshore and I find it a bit frustrating with some bike fork setups. Bikes with the (annoying) spin blocks are a bit of a pain, won't work for my gravel bike, and it won't work on my wife's ebike at all (even if you can lift it up that high). So unless you are planning on hauling a bunch of fairly standard suspension fork mountain bikes, you might cross the NS off the list.

On the positive side, the NS is a good value and made with quality materials. We picked ours up second hand for $250 and still like it in spite of the limits. We'll probably sell it off soon though since my wife is riding with me more since she has the ebike and it doesn't work with that at all.

I endorse everything aaronka970 said above. Just the ebike thing was a deal breaker.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
a vertical rack sticks out WAYYY further than a single tray one-up. Multiple feet further. I’ve had my one up for like 6 years, no issues.

·
OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
4,366 Posts
I know this is only tangential to the OPs comment, but one of the things I really dig about the 1Up is how modular it is. Yes with 4 bikes on it, it sticks out pretty far. But only when you have 4 bikes on it. If you are only hauling 2 bikes, it doesn't stick out any further than a vertical rack and it's a much lower profile.

With any of the vertical racks, you are always stuck with bikes poking out moderately far and tires up 7 feet off the ground.

If you are always hauling 4+ bikes then the vertical rack is the way to go. I have both the 1Up and the Northshore, if I were forced to pick 1, it would be the 1Up simply because it's pretty rare that I move 4 bikes. For the 10-20% of the time I need to haul that 4th bike, I have the slightly awkward option to do so.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I like my 1UP, but am looking to add an upright rack, mostly because I don’t like how far 4 bikes stick out (add the swing arm, and it’s like 5), and sometimes have more than 4. 2-3 bikes, it’s great.

I’ve owned a NS Rack. Great for shuttling smooth roads, but it marks up the forks.

Used basket style (Alta, Recon etc) are the easiest to load, but the bike move more than I like (suspension), and are heavy.

I am Lolo curious. I store my bikes the same way, but want to hear from a bike manufacturer about traveling with them in that position.

·
OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
4,366 Posts
I like my 1UP, but am looking to add an upright rack, mostly because I don’t like how far 4 bikes stick out (add the swing arm, and it’s like 5), and sometimes have more than 4. 2-3 bikes, it’s great.
I have a 2 tray 1Up and a 4 slot Northshore and the combo works very well so long as all the bikes work with the Northshore style rack. The NS is about the same cost as 2 extra 1Up rails and as you say keeps the bikes a bit closer in. I managed to snag the NS rack up for $250 second hand so it was quite a lot less expensive than the 1Up extra rails.

Also... ebikes are too F*ing heavy for lifting onto the NS even if they work right.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts