Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Wrench
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys,

This is my first year in Colorado, and as such I've planned out numerous races throughout the season. The first is the 50 miler in Lakeway, CO.

I've heard it's a rather non-technical course. I'm living in Fort Collins, and the terrain here is fairly rocky. But moving from Austin, it's similar. Just a different type of rock.

For anyone who's done this race, how much climbing is there per lap (6 laps)? I can't find hard data, but I want to say it looks to be around 1k feet.

My bike is a Jamis Nemesis.
IMAG1433.jpg

·
Registered
432 Posts
Its around 800 per lap. Its my least favorite of that series.

The Breck race being my favorite. PV is great fun as well.

If you like a lot of climbing do the Indian Creek race. Its brutal :)
Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express

·
Registered
418 Posts
Interesting. I did the half marathon 2 years ago and loved it on this course. Not technical and really fast. A lot of places to hammer along on flats. I'm kinda heavy at 175 lbs so that type of course suits me better then the 10-30 min. climbs. Just be weary of the weather. They had to re-schedule it one year because it was so muddy out there. It has a really cool finish line in the trees by the stream with people hanging out etc. Good vibe.

·
Wrench
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good information guys. 800 and 6 laps isn't too much to worry about.

Bike Guy, I'm with you. I float around 175 and 180 (Slightly heavier after a winter of weights) and like the sustained climbs.

This is the first race of the season for me. After that, I have an XC race in Wyoming and the Growler 100km later that month. I'm using it as a fitness test.

I'd love to race the Breck. I'm thinking of signing up for the Firecracker 50.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Yeah I'm better on long grinding uphills and tech downhills than full throttle for the whole race. Ridgeline is similar as well if you like pedal to the metal all the way. Its in a couple of weeks. Not too much climbing, but more than battle of the bear and again not technical.

The Breck race I was talking about was the same RME series, not the firecracker. Never done that one, but its meant to be good.

·
Wrench
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ridgeline looks interesting. It's $85 and over an hour and a half from Fort Collins, though. We'll see how I feel in a few weeks.

I'm surprised the XC racing costs are so much up here in CO. Back in Texas, XC races were 20-40 dollars a piece.
Yeah I'm better on long grinding uphills and tech downhills than full throttle for the whole race. Ridgeline is similar as well if you like pedal to the metal all the way. Its in a couple of weeks. Not too much climbing, but more than battle of the bear and again not technical.

The Breck race I was talking about was the same RME series, not the firecracker. Never done that one, but its meant to be good.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I tried to do as much of the course as possible a couple of weeks ago, I got 913ft of climbing in 11.5 miles. There's still a bridge out (which is why the extra 1.5 miles) and some of it is still closed due to the floods in the late summer (I know they are rerouting part of the race onto the pavement due to this). And sadly the base area is still pretty gross. It was under about 20ft of water for 2-3 weeks. The grass in the non-flooded areas has started to turn green again but not where it was under. I hope it improves.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
It is pricy at $85 plus an additional "service charge" of $5.95. I seem to recall a couple years ago about a really huge clusterf**k at sign in before the race. Really long line to check in....Has that been anyone's experience? Also, because the endurance race is 5 laps, I am concerned about being constantly passed or lapped and trying to get out of the way of the fast riders. Has that been an issue?

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Ridgeline looks interesting. It's $85 and over an hour and a half from Fort Collins, though. We'll see how I feel in a few weeks.

I'm surprised the XC racing costs are so much up here in CO. Back in Texas, XC races were 20-40 dollars a piece.
Texas has a great race scene, and affordable races with cash prize payouts. Sadly you should not expect affordable, and payouts here, CO has great courses, and competition, but lack the payouts I've seen in TX. Plus the demand for racing here is higher, and many of the more popular races sell out as soon as registration opens, so it takes a little planning to race. Welcome to the state, have fun this summer!

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
It is pricy at $85 plus an additional "service charge" of $5.95. I seem to recall a couple years ago about a really huge clusterf**k at sign in before the race. Really long line to check in....Has that been anyone's experience? Also, because the endurance race is 5 laps, I am concerned about being constantly passed or lapped and trying to get out of the way of the fast riders. Has that been an issue?
It is an issue with an race that does laps. You don't want tubes on this course....goat heads everywhere.

Edit: not sure if you are referencing ridge line or bear creek. Bear creek has tons of goat heads not sure about ridge line.

1,328 Posts
Early registration had a reasonable discount and the season pass (not always an option for everyone) results in even further discounts. Having said that, the endurance races start early enough that there isn't a ton of people walking up. The last couple of years have had pre-reg lines.

I'm a little ocd and generally get there too early and thus have no problem. Only bummer this year (IMO) is 5 laps vs 6 but last year there were people out on the course still when the traditional xc and 1/2 marathon events started. IMO, 5 laps should be enough to keep you separated from all but the pointy end of the field. Having said that, there are PLENTY of places to pass at Bear Creek so don't sweat being passed.

almost everyone will call out their passing, really considerate people there in my experience(s).

1,328 Posts
I've heard they have them but I dont' generally ride there and was on the trail for 90+% of the race and never saw any in my tread.

You'll be fine, don't sweat it. Just make sure you add some fresh stans/orange/slime/... etc. in the next couple weeks.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I live right by the park (and it's one of the first to dry) so I ride it all the time. I probably end up with a thorn every 4th or 5th ride, so it is a real issue, but I don't generally ride off-trail for passing like one might in the race. And my tires aren't usually flat until the next day, but I haven't even had slime (just put some in). My husband rides tubeless and doesn't have any problems.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
I raced Ridgeline last year with fresh Stan's in a tubeless setup. No problems, didn't remember seeing many goat heads. I like this course over the Bear creek, both are suburban parks, just bear creek is a state park, and Ridgeline is open space. Neither is all that inspiring, but the competition makes up for the lack of pure singletrack. Both are mainly 4 ft wide "trails" built for suburban trail standards, not technical obstacles. I had a good time at both, but am not inspired to ever go back to bear creek.

·
Registered
423 Posts
They make you do that creek crossing on the north side, don't they? Even though there's a perfectly good bridge? I should practice that but I don't wanna...

They've also now replaced the bridge on Turkey Creek on the south. Two other areas from last year are still closed but I think they might be closed forever (Part of the "Poo on the Corners" and all of "Tokyo Drift" if you Strava).

1 - 20 of 34 Posts