Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pardon my ignorance. I have an old set of turbocat lights with a panasonic lead acid battery LCR6V7.2P. The battery is bad and I would like to replace it with something lighter/newer. Can someone tell me if I can use a Li-Ion battery configuration? If so any recomendations on batterys/charger? I know nothing about replacing lead acid with li-ion or if it would work.

Thanks,
Gary

G

·
You can now get a 7.4 volt Li-Ion battery that is regulated to 6volt. It is designed as a replacement for 6volt lead acid from batteryspace, they will advise on the charger. Becouse the output of the battery is regulated it has a seperate input for charging.

·
Registered
6,456 Posts
dweeby said:
You can now get a 7.4 volt Li-Ion battery that is regulated to 6volt. It is designed as a replacement for 6volt lead acid from batteryspace, they will advise on the charger. Becouse the output of the battery is regulated it has a seperate input for charging.
I have this battery...Not sure if it is the same one as you mentioned but the BatterySpace 7.4 volt Li-ion battery that is regulated to 6volts is also limited to a 1A output current. That's because these batteries were designed to use with LED light setups. I use mine to power my standard setup Dinotte 200L which only draws about 1A. I have no idea how it would work with a Halogen setup. It would depend how much current the halogen bulb(s) draw. BatterySpace does have some LiFeP04 batteries which also are regulated but most of those have limited capacity (2400mah) and would not run very long with halogens
( *unless you connect two in parallel ). There is one though that might work. It is the one that I used to power my 6volt Marwi halogen. > http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2312 The voltage output on this one is limited to 7.9volts That means it will be slightly over-volted but that shouldn't be a problem and should actually make it brighter. It is also 6000mah so it should run for at least 3hrs (@ 15watts ). You would need to buy a charger and a trailtech plug ( male ) to adapt your light to the battery. All the extras are also sold on the BatterySpace web site. Of course you would also need some sort of bag to hold the battery if you don't already have one. Hope this all helps.

G

·
Good point, I never noticed the 1amp limit. I would go with the one cat-man-do has put a link to. But you must check that your bulbs are 6v volt as some were 4.7 volt so as to be slightly over volted with the 6v lead acid battery. If they are not you will have to change the bubs to 6volt. if they are old the newer bubs are better and cheap so maybe get bulbs and battery at same time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for everyone's help. Due to cost of batteries I think I'm going to buy a replacement SLA bettery for now. That way I can save for a new set of LED lights/batteries in the future.
Thanks Again,
Gary

G

·
Yes, I think that's the best thing to do. At least when you get some Led lights you won't need such an expensive battery due to the higher efficiency.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.