Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the upsides of raging student riots in Athens, Greece is that with few customers daring the streets (save those who insist on cycling through a city strewn with broken glass and wonder at all the flats they get...) is that I have had enough time on my hands to do some serious spring cleaning in the bike shop's storage room. Among the things I discovered once the room was clear of old boxes dating tot he last war was a seriously funky, metallic purple, Bataglin road frame, Columbus Steel, with matching 1 inch steerer fork. And wouldn't you know it...it is my size.
All of a sudden I find myself contemplating building it up in semi-retro parts and using it as a commuter. What do you think? Should I see a doctor? Seriously though, does anyone know of these frames? Worth it? And if so what would propose I build it up with?
I will try getting some pics up in the next days.

Happy holiday season!

·
Neo-Retro Forever
1,576 Posts
This is a mountain bike forum...we don't have a whole lot of knowledge of road bike stuff. You may want to try the forum at roadbikereview.com

Don;t get me wrong, it sounds cool, but you're just not likely to get much feedback.

rb

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh don't you worry Bushpig. Soon as New years is over I am planing on photographing a bunch of frames and full bikes. We have a fair few old rigs lying around and the old shop owner who still runs a small shop next to us is packed full of 80's steel and Alu frames. Mostly European brands mind but some beauties in there. Anlan, Allen, Steve BAuer, Battaglin, Gitane, Mercier, Look....

·
Certified Bike Junkie
1,747 Posts
Zendog13 said:
Oh don't you worry Bushpig. Soon as New years is over I am planing on photographing a bunch of frames and full bikes. We have a fair few old rigs lying around and the old shop owner who still runs a small shop next to us is packed full of 80's steel and Alu frames. Mostly European brands mind but some beauties in there. Anlan, Allen, Steve BAuer, Battaglin, Gitane, Mercier, Look....
If you come acroos any 80s mountain bike stuff we would definately want to see that. The more obscure and high end the better.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yah, it will be stock counting time in a few weeks so I will be sifting through everything as it is the first time the stock has been logged on computer. Just off the top of my head I've seen some Shimano carbon v-brake booster arcs, purple anodized seatpost QRs, Ringle seatposts and stems, GT LTS frame. We also have a fair few customers with classic bikes so I will try getting some pics of those as they come.

·
Joenes
40 Posts
89 TdF

Lemond was riding a Bottecchia that year, what a race!

Battaglin bikes have the distinction of being one, of two, ever to be ridden to the Triple Crown of Cycling.

The TCoC is winning the Giro, TdF, and World Championships in the same calendar year; Eddy Merckx in '74 and Stephen Roche in '87. Stephen Roche road for Carrera Jeans and rode a Battaglin (Columbus SLX tubing) that year. The bike was made in team replica models with various tubing but they all shared the Carrera team paint - red, white, and blue fade. The team bike had chromed stays and forks.

Very nice Italian made bikes with a lot of history. Giovanni Battaglin was quite a racer himself. He raced in the Merckx era; King of the Mountains in the TdF and doubled in the Vuelta and Giro in '81 also.

I can't wait to see the photos.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.