ballbuster
12,718 Posts

·
Paper or plastic?
10,597 Posts
pimpbot said:
... if a pro cyclist is doping?

Because he's a pro cyclist.

I'm starting to believe that all those mufuggers are dirty. IMO, they oughta test everybody who finishes top 10 in each stage. Cycling will clean up real fast.... or they'll all get good at defeating the testging.
The old French joke is that if the pro cyclists weren't doping up, the Tour would end in September...

·
just another bleepin SSer
1,461 Posts
pimpbot said:
I'm starting to believe that all those mufuggers are dirty. IMO, they oughta test everybody who finishes top 10 in each stage. Cycling will clean up real fast.... or they'll all get good at defeating the testging.
They do test the top riders from each stage (maybe not top 10), plus some riders at random. But the tests don't actually detect the drug, just signs of usage of the drug. So the riders and docotrs have figured out how to imit the signs of the drug to a point that won't fail the test.

Seems that these folks were caught through finding the actual drugs and blood doping products in their rooms or team areas.

·
I dig trails!
5,608 Posts
singlespeed.org said:
They do test the top riders from each stage (maybe not top 10), plus some riders at random. But the tests don't actually detect the drug, just signs of usage of the drug. So the riders and docotrs have figured out how to imit the signs of the drug to a point that won't fail the test.

Seems that these folks were caught through finding the actual drugs and blood doping products in their rooms or team areas.
Also, Drug testing technology and knowledge lags far behind doping technology.

First they have to discover the next wonder drug that is being used - which could be years into usage, then they have to develop a reliable test that can stand up to legal challenges.

For this reason alone, I think it will be many, many years before pro sports can be doping free.

P

·
Paper or plastic?
10,597 Posts
I think that they should legalize doping. That'd make the show more entertaining and cheating would no longer be a problem. I want to see guys climbing the Alpes d'Huez in the big ring at 20 mph. :)

·
Let's ride
7,125 Posts
First, this sucks big ween.

Second, it seems a lot of 'doping' these days are just blood transfusion of your own blood back into your body after they had sucked it out weeks/months ago. Also, on occassion, there is some addition of red blood cells.
Same regiment i'm on, but since there is no drug tests yet for Hill Climb Weds, nor SS Thurdsays, it is all hush hush and A OK.
Now that Beaver guy, different story there...

All the same, i'm disappointed for us viewers this year.

Go Floyd!

·
pedal pusher
2,234 Posts
rensho said:
First, this sucks big ween.

Second, it seems a lot of 'doping' these days are just blood transfusion of your own blood back into your body after they had sucked it out weeks/months ago. Also, on occassion, there is some addition of red blood cells.
Same regiment i'm on, but since there is no drug tests yet for Hill Climb Weds, nor SS Thurdsays, it is all hush hush and A OK.
Now that Beaver guy, different story there...

Go Floyd!
Hush Hush the way the tour used to be. It wouldnt be the same if these guys rode like us normal folk. Half the4 excitement is the speed they ride at, and the strategies are cool to watch play out. That will be interesting to see now. Discovery seems to have there team in tack so it'll be interesting. I wish they let the teams replace the suspended riders, because I prefer to see full teams racing.

Sean

·
I dig trails!
5,608 Posts
rensho said:
I felt the same way, but I am glad I ran accross this write-up at Velo News: written by Rob Clendening (some really interesting reader responses here) http://velonews.com/news/fea/10181.0.html

As a fan I just need to speak up and say we should still embrace this race, and that the 2006 version still has every chance to be one of the most exciting in recent years...

I remember a similar situation in 1987, the first Tour de France I ever watched. Greg LeMond and Bernard Hinault were not there to dominate, yet it was one of the most exciting races ever, with multiple jersey changes, surprise stage winners (who can ever forget Jeff Pierce's run in Paris on the final day!).
Now we don't know who the main characters are on the stage, this is so un-Lance era like. The complete opposite, or maybe like his first wins. Lots of surprises to come.

But I hope that commentators don't drive this into the ground.

Viva la Floyd! :D

P

·
pedal pusher
2,234 Posts
Mr.P said:
I felt the same way, but I am glad I ran accross this write-up at Velo News: written by Rob Clendening (some really interesting reader responses here) http://velonews.com/news/fea/10181.0.html

Now we don't know who the main characters are on the stage, this is so un-Lance era like. The complete opposite, or maybe like his first wins. Lots of surprises to come.

But I hope that commentators don't drive this into the ground.

Viva la Floyd! :D

P
maybe the comentators will be suspended before the weekend is over.
Still, I am looking forward to watching the tour.

Sean

·
Registered
11,763 Posts
heard anything about Vinokourov

If he doesnt get suspended.. i think he could do real well. But i guess the doping allegations are still out there but not confirmed..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.