Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pretty new and ive only have my bike for a week now and only been on 1 trial. I was wondering if you guys could tell me some of the terminology i need to know. What i really want to know is the different types of trails, different types of riding and ect.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Well newbee...

Shifty906 said:
I'm pretty new and ive only have my bike for a week now and only been on 1 trial. I was wondering if you guys could tell me some of the terminology i need to know. What i really want to know is the different types of trails, different types of riding and ect.
Shifty it's "trail"(figured that was a typo, but hey it's not illegal to proof read) and it's "etc" not "ect".

There are dirt roads that are all dirt/gravel. Then there are two rut roads(know in mtb speak as double track) that are mostly dirt and have a lane for each side of the vehicle. There are also atv, or narrow double track trails(watch out for large mud pits from these folks). Then there are the infamous single-track trails which are the holy grail for most mtb'ers. Maybe as narrow as a few inches or as wide as a sidewalk. They weave through the countryside like a drunk on ludes and are exceptionally fun to ride. The different types of riding(and you can do a google on them yourself) are XC(cross-country), DH(downhill) and freeride(FR). :D Some folks will add all mountain(that's just bull) and urban assault(fun, but watch out for slow folks walking).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
fred3 said:
Shifty it's "trail"(figured that was a typo, but hey it's not illegal to proof read) and it's "etc" not "ect".
Yea it was a typo, I hate proof reading so i just leave it as it is most of the time unless it doesnt make sense lol.

Thanks for the quick explinations. The trail I did this past thursday was a single track. Tomorrow im probably going to do Womble in Mt Ida, AR. You've probalby heard of it because from what ive read its one of the top 10 best trails in the states

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Four Cross...

toyota kawasaki said:
what about 4x? if theres only 3 types of riding (xc, downhill, freeride) then wat is 4x under? downhill?
is a type of competition, not a type of riding. It's dh with hillocks and berms. It's called 4x because 4 people race at once. DH racing is one rider at a time and xc racing is oodles of folks at the same time. Don't get confused.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts