Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some opinions on anyone who has had success with improving week after week at a weekly racing series.

Me: I race expert class, have a few lucky wins under my belt, but have never been consistent. Last outing got beat by over a minute in a 50 min race... hence the need much more speed and possible training advice. I have been racing for fun for 10+ years but am the first to admit that I know almost nothing about training or nutrition. Never owned nor would want to own a HRM (wrong personality for that). I also travel a ton for work which keeps me from sticking to any kind of biking schedule, but to have a baseline ideal schedule I think would be good.

So lets say you were doing a 10-week race series with the race being every Wednesday... What would be the ideal schedule if life didn't get in the way? Here's what I would do:
Wed - race (50min)
Thur - easy day recovery (1hr)
Fri - off
Sat - 2hrs intervals or near race effort
Sun - 4hr long ride moderate pace
Mon - 1hr intervals or near race effort
Tue - off
Wed - race (50 min)

What do you guys think?

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
7,914 Posts
not enough easy days IMHO.

what is with 2 days off ? no days off. you have 30 minutes, go 30 minutes ultra-high-cadence for one day, the other day off, do 30 minutes medium one leg at a time for 45 seconds each. mix it up. move them legs

someone will chime in with much better advice.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
I like going into our mid week series with a pretty big base. 3 months building to 10-15 hours a week.

First month of series, drop the weekly hours to about 10-12. then last month drop to about 7-8 hours a week, for a nice peak.

In our series we have A, B, and C, and I usually do pretty well in the Bs.

For the peak month I usually take monday off, do some openers on Tuesday (4X 1min all out), then race on Wednesday. Our weekly series has a first climb about 3 minutes, so it's all about Anaerobic Capacity power. Similar to a WC race I imagine.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Ponch. Our courses are pretty flat but there is definitely a lot of anaerobics going on in the first 3 min. So the theory seems to be come in with a solid base then focus on speed training as the season goes on. I think i get it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

·
Registered
6,050 Posts
If you haven't done much structured work in the past I'd be inclined to keep it simple. Do something like one of the Time Crunched Cyclist training plans and try your utmost to stick to the plan in its entirety. If you're not getting consistent training in, due to all your business travel, then really trying to keep to a routine is where you should be able to benefit.

For the races always getting out for a ride on the Tuesday before each race should help a bit. A day off before often isn't great as your legs can seize up a bit immediately after a rest day. You'll normally feel better if you ride the day before.

On race day for a short 50 minute race are you doing a good 20-30 minute warmup beforehand, so that you're ready to go hard from the beginning? As Wednesday is a riding day if you have time available then after each short race you could do some extra miles afterwards. As soon as you've finished go out and do another 30 minutes to an hour of riding, including race pace and hard intervals, to make up the overall weekly volume and prove to yourself that you can ride as hard as possible for more than 50 minutes without fading.:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.