Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like a basic yet quality set of tools for general bike repairs. This will be my first attempt at working on my bikes (besides changing tires and pedals). What is a good all in one package of tools? Nothing to expensive please.

I have a decent set of mechanics tools for my car and working around the house, but apparently I need some bike designed tools to get into certain parts of my bikes.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Park makes really good tools, but there expensive. For some tools I also find the Nashbar/Performance house brand pretty good. I'm not wrenching my bike to make money so I'm not always going to spend twice the money for a tool without a lifetime warranty.

Anthony

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
The problem with most pre-made tool kits is that they often come with tools you will almost certainly not use.

Here are some examples that often come with a basic tool set
-Headset wrenches are useless on threadless headsets that everything comes with now.
-14mm socket is used for old school crank bolts, virtually nothing these days use it
-Crank puller is not needed on two piece cranksets, only on three piece
-Splined BB cartridge tool is not needed for two piece cranksets, but you will need a external bearing BB tool (which is usually NOT included)
-You may not need cone wrenches for sealed cartridge bearing hubs
-You may not need a pedal wrench, most pedals such as Crank Bros, Shimano, and Time use a hex wrench to install the pedals now days

I would actually recommend buying individual tools depending on the need

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
-Cone Wrenches (*if needed) in 13mm, 15mm, and 17mm (if using XT or XTR hubs)
-Chain Breaker Tool
-Cable cutters (cheap ones are a waste of money)
-T handle hex wrenches (1.5mm thru 6mm, plus you might need 8mm and 10mm depending on what you have)
-Spoke wrenches (applicable sizes)
-Torque Wrench (3/8" in/lbs) with hex bits (usually 4,5,6 and 8mm)
-Combination wrenches (6mm, 8-17mm)
-Chain Whip
-Cassette Remover
-The correct BB tool for what you have
-Crank puller (*if needed)
-T25 Torx (*If needed for 6 bolt disc brakes)

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
There are actually several threads posted recently about this topic, and they come up regularly. It's all available in the search, from tool quality, to where to pick and choose and the pitfalls of Park, as well as other lower quality tools and what they can do to fasteners.

search: tools, bondhus, tool kits, hex wrenches

Do yourself a favor and buy real Bondhus hexes from fleabay, not ones that look like them or have the Bondhus ends. Prohold is an added benefit model because they have an insert that holds the bolt and doesn't weaken the ball end like wiha's magic ring.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.