Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems the amount of rocks and stuff around here i was wondering if i should install one, i never use my big ring and it seems i need the extra clearance. So does anybody else use one and is it worth it to put on?

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
I use a plastic Shimano Saint bash guard. It's been tough enough and weighs next to nothing. It's only $10 but you'll need the longer bolts for like $13. So figure about $26 bucks.

·
Banned
2,320 Posts
Here in rooty, rock N.E. many have replaced the big ring with a bashguard. Running a 2x9 uses less chain, delivers better shifts, and makes hopping over logs and stonewalls so much more fun....
BTW I've never missed the big ring even on fast rides or mandatory road sections.

·
Registered
397 Posts
If all you re doing is trail riding then a bash ring is a good idea. I have to ride my bike on the roads for about 5 or 6 miles to get to some rides and it would definitely be a long ride with out the big ring.

·
Got A Lust for Life...
2,969 Posts
Yes. Get one. I would advise getting a slim aluminum like the Spot or Salsa. I ran one for a bit with great success. A nice, tight bashguard will allow greater clearance over obstacles. The one's you can't clear, you can use the bashring to get up and over. I run 1x9 with a hacked off E13 LG1.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i ride on the road to get to places a little bit but i never use my big ring

·
Got A Lust for Life...
2,969 Posts
brendanbkr said:
i ride on the road to get to places a little bit but i never use my big ring
Even if you did, once you get strong enough(which will be real fast if you ride frequently) just run a 34 up front. It is pretty hard to outrun a 34-11/34 under *most* conditions. I took the big and small ring off two years ago this August. Haven't missed either of them since.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
no it replaces it i want to take off my little gear too

·
Got A Lust for Life...
2,969 Posts
brendanbkr said:
no it replaces it i want to take off my little gear too
You won't miss it. You'll drop weight and a useless piece of gear...the front derailleur. Depending on your setup, you'll need something to keep the chain on. This gets tricky. :eek:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
indyfab25 said:
You won't miss it. You'll drop weight and a useless piece of gear...the front derailleur. Depending on your setup, you'll need something to keep the chain on. This gets tricky. :eek:
i guess it would for me if the hill is steep enough that i need to shift into that gear i just get of and walk it

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.