Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
WHAT HAS SCIENCE DONE!?!
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been starting to use the bashring quite a bit for urban riding, and was just curious about the merits of switching to an acrylic item such as the e13 Supercharger in lieu of my current stock Truvativ part.

Big question is whether acrylic rings have any durability issues w/ frequent intentional use. Also curious as to the effects of going to a larger diameter ring. Obvious a bigger ring eats a bit of ground clearance, but at the same time it will present a more horizontal surface to impacted objects which might more than make up for it.

Sorry for the inane question, I just don't want to go waste $25 (and probably the same amount again in gas to drive the truck 10 miles to the bike shop) if the stock ring is a better option.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
well the E13/Evil guys boast better durability (not to mention slidability) with the Markalon (not acrylic) bashers. The things are really thick too, about half inch.

·
Registered
52 Posts
bashring

i dont have an e13 so i can't give a firsthand opinion, but read the reviews, they are the best out there... i wouldnt even begin to worry about breaking one, HAS ANYONE BROKEN AN E13 BASHRING? i almost got one but the dude sold it out from under me on ebay after i 'bought it now' ...

·
Registered
95 Posts
E13 E13 E13 E13 E13. The bashring is the best, the company is cool, and folks that run the company are riders that support the mtb community...seriously I think E13/Evil Bikes is The best company out there making the best products...I've gone throught three previous bashrings until I came upon E13 two years ago and I'll never look back. You'll be amazed by the customer service too.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
yup yup

cheapfreerider said:
i dont have an e13 so i can't give a firsthand opinion, but read the reviews, they are the best out there... i wouldnt even begin to worry about breaking one, HAS ANYONE BROKEN AN E13 BASHRING? i almost got one but the dude sold it out from under me on ebay after i 'bought it now' ...
yup i have. but it was my lbs falt they forgot to put the washers on before they put the bolts in. but to answer the ? go with e-13 they rock!

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I've got an aluminum bash (Blackspire Ring God). It's pretty beefy at 7mm width, and it's cheap. Honestly, if all you go over is logs and flat-ish rocks, your stock bashguard is probably fine.

For me, I found that with harder hits to corners/edges of rocks, the aluminum guards will flatten/distort/bend a little. Easily fixable with a hammer and/or a vice, but it is possible to end up interfering with the chain/middle chainring, which can make for a long walk home until you can bang it back into place (and possibly might be some damage to the chain/ring).

To make a long story short, if you are doing lots of rock gardens and really abusing the guard, go markalon via E-13, otherwise, just stick with what you have.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
How much lighter??? Saving weight is always a good thing. Weight is any MTB'ers worst enemy..It hurts pedaling, braking, cornering, harder to throw around in the air, harder on your shocks etc...Weight shouldn't be seen as a mandatory thing to get strength. I think the worst mistake one can make when they build a bike is to say 'Oh it's gonna be a pig anyways so I'm not even gonna worry about weight'.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.