Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

What's your setup?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With my riding style, I tend to bounce my outer ring off of everything. So, I’ve been riding a 3 rings + bashguard for the past 3 years. I just recently bought a new bike so I’m trying to decide what setup to put on it. I don’t race and I can’t remember the last time I was in my big ring, so I’m thinking I may not need it. I was just curious what setup people are running who ride the same type trails as me.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Elephant rider

2 rings and a bashguard is perfect for me. I had the same "I never use my big ring anyway" mindset, and after I did the first bike like that, I never switched back. I live in FL now, and still never changed any of my set-ups. They slide on logs, so you never get that teeth embedded feeling. If you have the urge to change back, it is not too much $$, so I would definitely give it a try.

·
Registered
402 Posts
2 Rings then hang up

I've been using 2 ring and a bash guard for 7 years. I like the tech stuff at Ringwood. Aside from that, the big ring once torn into my calf. I now have a nice scar with 5 teeth marks. Looks like I was malled by a very big cat. :eek:

·
Registered
83 Posts
I've had a 2 ring and bash setup for the past 4 years, I think it's a perfect setup for North Jersey. After way too many chainring scars on my legs and having to consider getting dental insurance for the the teeth on my big ring, I decided it was the best way to go.

·
lotto baby
553 Posts
i just removed the 3rd chainring on my FS and put in a bashring. i tested it out yesterday. great fun. now i have even better clearance on top of the smooth ring that slides.

...and i have an SS (bashring on that too) - and i love rocks!

·
Registered
256 Posts
3 rings nekid

it's my setup mostly because i've just never changed it, but with all the mud out here you need all the available chainrings. my big ring is the last resort for me when the other 2 are clogged with mud! I did the last 2 laps at Kittatinny this weekend in the large chain ring... talk about leaving a scar!

I did see the worst a gear could do on a riding buddy, nice chunks 'o meat left on the ring afterwards!

·
Registered
485 Posts
one must learn to be nimble and leap that ring over obsticles. bashing rings isnt the only issue. theres that poor little spider down there taking all the abuse inbetween the ring and the frame. bend that and its new cranks youll need.
front end up till just the right moment,
jump!
Land on front wheel in rolling endo.
beauty in motion...

·
Registered
109 Posts
I switched to a bash guard and 2 rings and I noticed an extra3/4 in of clearance. I didn't think it was a big deal until I went back to a 3 ring set up on my racing bike and it was noticable going over logs.
I think Yoda was right; you need to be aware and jump the rear wheel onto the log and spare your ring. It's the rock gardens that you sometime can't see it coming and BAM!!! Sends a shock through you and you'll be lucky to still have teeth. If your riding any kind of rocky terrain, you won't be disapointed.

·
surly and rigid
50 Posts
2 schools of thought here. You could put a bashguard on and slide over said objects....Or you could practice a bit and learn how to get your bike over said object without even grazing it with your cranks. Yes there are times when you almost have no choice but hey it happens and on that note...I have a bashguard on both bikes. One is a SS and the other is a 9spd with a chainguide as well. XC only but I hate dropped chains in the rocks.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Though It's been a while--I first learned to ride in NJ (good ole' sourlands, Round Valley, Mahlon Dickinson, Hartshorne and the venerable Chimney Rock--I miss those little places!).

After several tacoed big rings I put a Tooth fair on te triple and never looked back (or down). NJ has more big, steep soft logs across trails than anywhere I've ever ridden (sort of the local flavor)-since leaving jersey I've long-since dropped the bash guard--just don't need it like I did in the muthaland.

Oh, Always keep the Big Ring--it represents hope!:thumbsup:

Liam

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.