Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Lost and never found
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 2002 specialized p.3 with a single speed in the front and i want to put a bashguard on it. I was wondering what type i would need and how it mounts. the bike has a 4 arm crank that has a 104mm crank bolt circle diameter. It needs a new sprocket anyways becasue the current one is bent. oh and it does have truvativ chain rollers on it so i dont know if those make a difference either.

·
Registered
412 Posts
you just remove the 4 bolts that hold the middle chainring to the cranks and sandwich the bash in there. well kind of like that anyway. you need a 4 bolt bash guard i have a truvative hussefelt one that id be willing to sell. pm if you want it

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
Wow, big chainring. Yeah, get the 40t then.

Out of curiosity? Why the monstrous chainring? And what ratio are you running? You can probably achieve the same ratio with a smaller chainring and cog. You'll gain some ground clearance and drop some weight.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I don't want to make a new thread cause it hink i can get my answer here...

i have a Voodoo bizango, it's not exactly a trials/urban bike but i want to put a bashguard on it. it's a 24 speed. the biggest chain ring is a 104mm 40t. is there anything they make like this for my application?

i'm looking for that saw blade pattern around the edge. thanks!

·
mtbr remember
4,356 Posts
It's a truvativ, it will work.
not necessarily...
punkmountainbiker, you say you are using a TruVativ roller/Boxguide? That will only work with a specific bashguard, unless you have a fairly massive amount of spacers for mounting a regular one (which puts it waay too far out towards your leg and awkward). A regular bash (such as e.13, mrp, blackspire, etc) will not clear the top "box guide" and will cause clearance problems (unless you customize it and cut the outer section of the "box" off...) I've got one on my turner rail, but just think of it as the early e.13 lg-1. ;)

dachy, I had a salsa chainring guard (not the pictured trials guard) on my xc bike that cleared a 44t triple ring, but it is rather thin. It will save you from some log slides or from breaking teeth, but NO bashing or grinding. I'm not sure if they make one just for a 40 specifically, but plenty of companies do (40 used to be pretty much a DH standard...)

and damn, 40t on the front of you street/dj bike, wow.... you REALLY should downsize that, but you're preference. I remember when I used to run a 44t s&m ring on my bmx bike.... oh man, who the heck engineered this stuff back in the day?

·
Lost and never found
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
i know that im going to downsize, but to what i dont know does anyone have any sugestions? I was thinking around a 32 tooth as for the guide, i dont have a box guide, mine has an adjustabel roller on the top and another adjustable one on the bottom, it looks like this, that might even be it

·
Registered
80 Posts
punkmountainbiker

I had that chainguide. i got rid of it though as it was noisy and wouldn't work properly with a truvativ bash guard. i think its only designed for 36 and bigger chainrings to so it may not work with a 32.
i personaly would say get a new chain guide. ive now got the dmr elite speed guide but you cant use that with a bash guard either. if you definitly want a bash guard get a e13. i would have but in the uk the are quite expensive.

and while we're talking about chainrings, can a 32t bolt straight on to replace a 36t on TruVativ Hussefelt DH cranks?

·
Lost and never found
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i dont really like that chainguide either becaseu like you said it makes a lot of noise and because there are come clearance issuses with the tire and the top roller arm. I was looking at the e.13 32 special and that looks pretty nice, but another question, how does that guide mount, the one i have right now it just on the frame or bottome bracket and 2 screws tighten it up onto the frame, you can see them in the pic. I am guessing to take that one off and put a new one on i would have to take the crank arm off, but dont you need a special tool for that?

·
Registered
80 Posts
punkmountainbiker

the truvativ one you have now is mounted between the bb and your frame. the e13 in the picture you posted is iscg. have a look at your frame to see if you have the mounting holes. if i dont make any sense, this should help. go down to where it says Frame compatibility.
You will need to take off the cranks arms and remove the bb. im sure your lbs could fit it, and it would proberbly be cheaper than buying all the tools.

·
mtbr remember
4,356 Posts
if you don't have the ISCG mounts on your frame, you will probably need to buy an e-type bottom bracket.

take a look at the SMT (simple minds tech) chainguides, looks really quality and stout, and genius how they place the "bash" part more centered on the bike instead of way outside... but, for most of them you will need a full seat tube to mount. I contacted them about possibly making a custom one for my turner rail (which doesn't have a seat tube), but never got a reply.... ?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.