Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
808+909 = Party Good Time
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a bashguard on my SS at the moment and thinking of ditching it but not sure if I'm going to regret that next time I clip a log?

Any thoughts or experiences?

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
if you dont know if you need a bashring you probably dont need a bashring. SS has nothing to do with it, its how/what you ride the SS and if you ride the SS such that you realize you dont need it...then you dont need it. on the other hand, it doesnt hurt so who cares

·
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just so you all know I ride nothing major, manly smooth flowy single track and the craziest I get is going over some logs pretty much... sounds like I might be able to ditch the ring.

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
I'll keep mine, just in case I make another mistake in the rocky sections....

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
16,731 Posts
A month ago I folded a chainring on my 5-bolt crank. Didn't think it could happen, but lo, I stand corrected.

Sad part is it was a sweet, virtually new Boone 33t ti ring. Man, that was a painful loss.

So I straightened it as best I could, ground the teeth off and bolted what was left to the outside of a new Surly 34t as a strengthener. That's probably overkill, but I couldn't bear to throw that beautifully machined sheet of titanium away.

--Sparty

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
I thought bashguards are for protection only, but some recent posts show that they also reinforce the chainring, preventing it (and the crank spider) from folding under pressure.

·
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just another update... bashguard is off! Yet to ride it, but from first impressions.. it just looks so much better and hey and I removed 100g of rolling weight, which I may never notice but mentally I'm gonna be gunning it haha

·
Registered
29 Posts
I find depending what kind of trails you have. I find it a must due to all the nasty shale rock that flies up smacking all over my bike. (Busted spokes that way) plus I do look for all the nasty rock and log hopping I can find and would have busted my chains many times without it. weight should not be your factor with this decision unless your an all ti freak.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i use mine

i've got a bashguard on my 1FG in fact the same one cannondale put it on, and i'm getting to the point of having to replace it. I'm from the Duluth, MN area and have also MTB in southern IL. I know in both these places there are some wicked rocks, Sandstone and limestone in IL and granite in duluth. It has definitely taken a toll on my stock bashguard im looking into an carbon reinforced or possibly steel in the future.

I use mine alot, but it depends on your terrain and riding style
my terrain is rocky and my style is "it's never too fast"

~j

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.