Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys installing a bash guard that i got. i'm not sure if i need longer bolts/screws or if i need longer female threaded inserts/nuts. its a 32t bash so i took off the 44t ring and replacing with the bash. the threaded inserts don't come up all the way to the surface of holes. the bolts thread in and have good thread engagement but i'm worried that their is not enough meat from the insert/nut to support the bash. any help appreciated.

pics to show you what i mean

nut part of the chainring bolt is installed in this pic, bolt has been removed. as you can see the nut portion doesn't come close enough to the face of the hole(2-3mm gap). do i need a longer nut?

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
it looks good to me....if it cam all the way up..then you could bottom before the chainring is actually "fixed"

one usually needs longer bolts with thick bashguards (like e-thirteen)...the FSA is not so thick..

·
Registered
79 Posts
Can one use regular bolts when installing a bash guard, or is it typically best to get the longer variety. Any pointers appreciated.

On a side note, local bike shops in minneapolis will charge anywhere from $10-$20 to install a bash guard (no bolts included) just to put a bash guard on a SS bike.

It doesn't seem like rocket science to me.

·
Registered
79 Posts
augustiner said:
I put a BBG bashguard on my bike (www.bbgbashguard.com) and the stock bolts work fine. also very simple to install yourself...only 14 bucks shipped and you can do it yourself...i wouldnt pay someone to install a bashguard, unless you want to pay someone to adjust your seat height....
Cheers Augustiner. Good to know, that's sound advice. The bike shops in my area make everything complicated :) Yes, even like seat height! I think I'll go the BBG guard route, they seem to work well.

Again, thanks

·
Registered
493 Posts
PS, i would reccommend the regular, not the superlight BBG...IF you plan on hitting logs...the superlight is about 1/3 of as light (for you weight weenies)...it bends back really easily but the regular bbg bashguards hold up a lot better...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.