Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am no freeride or extreme downhill rider but ride on pretty rugged northwest terrain(rocky, logs/roots, small drops). i decided i dont use my big ring enough to justify keeping it and want to run a bashgaurd, are the e13 plastic bashguards strong/as strong as the aluminum ones? are the aluminum ones heavy? is one better then the other? opinions? thanks!

·
Registered
373 Posts
I also have a Blackspre Ring God, totally bomb proof. It's taken pretty hard hits, it has quite a few gashes and scrapes on it, but no significant damage.

·
Vaginatarian
5,686 Posts
I have an FSA aluminum, a couple of pluses, smaller diameter than the e13 so more clearance, kind of has teeth to grip any BIG logs , no torqueing issues, very light

·
%$#$*!
811 Posts
I've used E13, Truvativ (the stock plastic one on holzfellers), and the Raceface Aluminum. Both the plastic ones had cracking around the bolts eventually. The e13 I installed without a torque wrench and arguably was my fault even though I did not feel like I overly tightened it. The truvativ was brand new and already installed on the cranks so I never touched the bolts. I've ridden them both with cracks and they're fine. I've ridden a lot in the NW and bash stuff all the time.

I prefer the Aluminum Raceface. They're supertough and not heavy either.

·
Registered
182 Posts
polycarbonate w/o a doubt. An aluminum bash will be lighter and will have a better contact feel, but polycarbonate is lighter and better for grinds. Polycarbonate offers a tiny bit of flex, so it'll absord the shock, will aluminun will fatigue and eventually bend. I like the gamut bashguard, its 300grams lighter than the e13, no jk, i weighed em.

·
Banned
1,443 Posts
I prefer the E13 because it slides over rocks and logs easier. If you get one, make sure you read the manual and do not over tighten the bolts, and you are good to go.

However I have a feeling they are heavier than some of the thin alu rings... depends on what you want to do with it.

·
29er Geek
1,529 Posts
The e13 is by far a more durable unit...the only real drawback to the poly is that it doesn't "grip" when going over logs like some of the aluminum bashes will (sort of serrated edge to them.) so it won't help you claw over.

·
Double-metric mtb man
4,482 Posts
I've recently added an eNVy Ring Thing as I still use my 3rd ring enough to keep it around. It is a fairly light weight aluminum job, but seems to give a decent bit of protection for the big ring.

If I were to ditch the 3rd ring, I'd likely go poly. I like the look and they are a little more slick for sliding off stuff.

·
lazy piston
373 Posts
I've tried e.13 polycarbonate bash and some local brand aluminium bash, both for 36t.
The aluminium looks slicker and is 30 grams lighter (and uses shorter bolts, which are lighter, too). Also it is smaller, because the e.13 for 36 teeth looks like it could cover a 38-tooth ring.

I haven't had any cracks in my e.13 but I've had it creak when the temperature gets too low - I think it shrinks more than aluminium and the bolts begin to have some play.

I'm currently looking for a really light aluminium bashring, a Raceface or a DMR maybe.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I just noticed that my Truvativ was cracked at a bolt hole- it was about a year old. I'll probably go back with a polcarbonate, though, because they seem to slide a bit better.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Psycho Mike said:
I've recently added an eNVy Ring Thing as I still use my 3rd ring enough to keep it around. It is a fairly light weight aluminum job, but seems to give a decent bit of protection for the big ring.

If I were to ditch the 3rd ring, I'd likely go poly. I like the look and they are a little more slick for sliding off stuff.
i was really interested in the envy rings, they look pretty nice too. i couldn't locate a US dealer though.

·
Map Maker
1,244 Posts
bashgurad

go aluminum!

I went through at least 5 E-13 bash guards. They would crack at the bolt holes after a month.:madman:

it seems that some chain lubes don't work well with the poly carb.:eekster:

I even went as far as making some of my own out of polycarb ,lexan and some other stuff. they all broke.

I switched to a CHEAP Nashguard from nashbar and its held up fine for a few years - Not one problem.

I am sure any of the aluminum rings like Race Face or Blackspire would do great as well.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
If you want light go with a Spot brand. I wouldn't say it's as strong (or thick) the race face I used to use but it's the lightest one I found and has been fine for repeated log crossings.

·
Brackish
1,855 Posts
I like the Race Face aluminum bash for trail riding up here (Seattle area), and my wife agrees. They are compact, durable and slide right over rocks and logs. We both have plastic bashes on out big bikes, too, and they work, just take up more space and they aren't noticeably lighter.

·
Registered
382 Posts
although im putting an e13 poly on my new bike, i've used raceface guards on my two other bikes with great results. the one bike took plenty of beatings too.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.