Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Weekend Warrior
1,078 Posts
Yes, you take of the big ring in the front and mount this one in place. Then you need to retard the limit screw of the dérailleur so you don't shift into empty. I didn't use the 3rd ring, plus it always kept biting me, so it had to go...

·
Weekend Warrior
1,078 Posts
1) I still got scars on the back of my leg that exactly match my big ring.

2) I bottomed out a couple of times and bent a few teeth. Now i got enough clearance to go over high obstacles. And even if I bottom out now i just hit that bashguard.

Make sure you buy the desired size. Mine is just large enough to cover the middle ring plus chain. They have some that are as big as the ring you remove, some like it, i don't. I wanted the extra clearance.

·
Registered
60 Posts
bashguard

I have a blackspire big ring protector on my 06 Kona Dawg. Works good...where i live we do quite abit of biking to get to the trail head. I guess the question that i would ask myself...if i don't use the big ring very much...is it worth the weight of keeping the big ring and added a bash guard too. Jd

·
Registered
44 Posts
I do not think you should get the Raceface Bash, It's steel, or a metal.

E.Thirteen's Thermoplastic is much stronger and won't dent.

As for the 3rd Ring, I have 24-36 Up Front and 34-11 in the rear and my bikes final speed

in 36 and 11 is 40MPH. So the gears are quite high enough for trails.

Lose the 3rd.

·
long standing member
3,099 Posts
Mikekune594 said:
I do not think you should get the Raceface Bash, It's steel, or a metal.

E.Thirteen's Thermoplastic is much stronger and won't dent.
RaceFace bashguards are aluminum and get pretty good reviews here on MTBR.

My e13 Supercharger did in fact dent, and it also cracked (and not around the bolt holes). Its replacement, a Blackspire Grind God, is holding up fine.

Regarding gearing, I'm running 22/32/Bash up front and find that I do run run out of gearing on open flat or downhill sections. But it's never really bothered me enough to want to swap the middle ring out for something bigger.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
an additional question

I have decided I do not use my big ring other than bending teeth and cutting myself but my question is can I remove a link or 2 from my chain after its replaced with a bash gaurd?

On rocky sections going a moderate speed the chain is bouncing around and noisy, so bigger ring=longer chain??

regards
Ray

·
Registered
182 Posts
Ray Lee said:
I have decided I do not use my big ring other than bending teeth and cutting myself but my question is can I remove a link or 2 from my chain after its replaced with a bash gaurd?

On rocky sections going a moderate speed the chain is bouncing around and noisy, so bigger ring=longer chain??

regards
Ray
That's a good question, I have the same problem. Anyone?

·
EDR
10,498 Posts
Ray Lee said:

regards
Ray
Yes you can remove a few links and (if you wish) use a medium cage rear der.

I set mine up so that when the chain is on the largest rear cog and the middle ring the rear der. is pulled to somewhere between the 4 o'clock and 5:30 position. That's just me but at least you ensure you are not too stretched out when at the max combo.

·
Brackish
1,855 Posts
eatdrinkride said:
Yes you can remove a few links and (if you wish) use a medium cage rear der.

I set mine up so that when the chain is on the largest rear cog and the middle ring the rear der. is pulled to somewhere between the 4 o'clock and 5:30 position. That's just me but at least you ensure you are not too stretched out when at the max combo.
Second that, remove four full links when I make the swap on our bikes. For bash recommendations, I have used Race Face guards for five years with no problems. I had an e-13 that spent time on a couple of my bikes and it worked, but it flat-spotted pretty noticeably and developed some cracks.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.