Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I am awaiting delivery of an Orange Five.

It comes with a Race Face XC Evolve Triple X Type crankset.

Is it just a case of buying any race face bash guard and it will replace my large chainring?

·
Registered
434 Posts
Indeed you will lose the large ring. You don't need to stick with raceface branded bashguards either. Just make sure whatever bashguard you buy is the correct BCD.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BCD - is that the holes on the crank arms? Sorry im fairly new to this - coming from XC.

Will all Race Face ones be the correct BCD?

·
Registered
434 Posts
BCD

Typically for MTB cranks, they are 104 mm, get a bashguard with the same BCD and simply switch the big ring for the guard.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Also look at the second ring find out how maney teeth there are and buy the bash according to that.
I like my race face bash. Strong and it feels light.

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
carbon337 said:
BCD - is that the holes on the crank arms? Sorry im fairly new to this - coming from XC.

Will all Race Face ones be the correct BCD?
Nail on the head :thumbsup: Most common now A days is the 104 which makes it allot easier for the consumer and manufacture, yours are 104 4 bolt. :thumbsup:

Lets say most all will work since their are some early 5 bolts still floating out their on blowout. :yesnod:

http://www.spadout.com/c/bashguard/

You will also need to adjust the front derailleur screw so it only goes to 2 sprockets. Start looking into a 34 or 36T middle ring for the future, you will out spin the stock 32 in time. :rockon:

http://www.spadout.com/c/chainring/

·
Registered
830 Posts
got an E-thirteen on mine...
my 32t was stupid when trying to ride normal... kinda like a harley... all that noise but not going anywhere... all that pedaling but not going anywhere......
i moved up to a 36t on my yeti and its perfect for everything

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
qkenuf4u said:
got an E-thirteen on mine...
my 32t was stupid when trying to ride normal... kinda like a harley... all that noise but not going anywhere... all that pedaling but not going anywhere......
i moved up to a 36t on my yeti and its perfect for everything
Good point, will need to shorten the chain since the BiG 44 will be gone. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
830 Posts
greengreer said:
shorten it and it works better, plus it takes all of 5min
lol ya when ya have the tools and new master ... lol might have to check into it tomorrow... spent to much money as it is on this bike... put new tires on it today but freed up some weight. went from full DH 2.35 monsters with superduty tubes to 2.1 reg. dirt tires w/ reg. slime tubes :thumbsup: dont need the HD stuff since i dont do DH with it. but it works so well for my normal AM riding and i enjoy riding it ALOT (yeti ASX) :thumbsup:
so how much should i shorten it ???? :confused:

1 - 20 of 48 Posts