Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Bite Me.
4,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed a bash ring on the RFX crankset. I have not adjusted the front derailleur position on the seat tube at all. Currently the derailleur is set a little high so that the chain grinds on the bottom of the chain cage when the bike's in the work stand but is totally quiet when you are on the bike and the suspension compresses a bit. With the big chain ring gone, the FD looks a little odd with the big gap exposed between the cage in the middle ring position and the top of the bash ring. I'm inclined to leave it where it is so the chainstay yoke does not hit the chain cage on full compression. It shifts perfectly now - what have the other Homers done?

·
Registered
982 Posts
+1 here

'08 RFX. Race Face Atlas crankset. Race Face Bashguard. Heim 2 ring guide. X9 FD. Rubs in the stand. Not on the Trail. Looks like this. It's OK.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,784 Posts
i installed a SLX compact FD

cutthroat said:
I installed a bash ring on the RFX crankset. I have not adjusted the front derailleur position on the seat tube at all. Currently the derailleur is set a little high so that the chain grinds on the bottom of the chain cage when the bike's in the work stand but is totally quiet when you are on the bike and the suspension compresses a bit. With the big chain ring gone, the FD looks a little odd with the big gap exposed between the cage in the middle ring position and the top of the bash ring. I'm inclined to leave it where it is so the chainstay yoke does not hit the chain cage on full compression. It shifts perfectly now - what have the other Homers done?
The cage is shorter so it doesnt come even close to anything during compression.

·
Registered
60 Posts
using the new SLX Double ring (22T To 32T) will force you to install the driller lower as it use smaller / shorter cage, old rear triangle are flat So at the point they are vulnerable at full shox compression.

Do not change the height, only after checking that it don't crash your rear triangle (remove all air from shox and see).

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
I've got an SLX on a 08 RFX, sitting right on top of a 34t Raceface bashguard. Shifts great, and I unbolted the shock and it doesn't come anywhere near hitting anything at full compression.

·
Banned
4,278 Posts
gadibob said:
using the new SLX Double ring (22T To 32T) will force you to install the driller lower as it use smaller / shorter cage, old rear triangle are flat So at the point they are vulnerable at full shox compression.
Shorter cage on the SLX allows you to run it lower without hitting the swingarm. Go back and look at the picture. I have 2mm clearance between the cage and bashguard and I do not contact the swingarm at full compression.

guitarhero said:
You don't have to replace it, just move it down a bit. It'll look better and function just as well.
If he does, his FDER will probably contact the swingarm on full compression.

rscecil007 said:
I've got an SLX on a 08 RFX, sitting right on top of a 34t Raceface bashguard. Shifts great, and I unbolted the shock and it doesn't come anywhere near hitting anything at full compression.
Exactly.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.