Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a bash ring for my XTR 970 crank - I am only going to use the bash ring for some few days when I am on holiday in Norway.

Can you recommend a good and not too expensive bash ring which fits together with the XTR 970 crank?
And are there some bash rings where you still can use the 44T chainring?

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I've just fitted an e-13 to my XTR 970 cranks along with the drs guide, 36 tooth version looks nice and fits well, you can't use allen keys to strip the ring of the cranks I had to buy a star drive type of key and boy where the bolts tight. the e-13 bash guards about £30
FSA do one very similar for £10 just fitted both my daughters and wifes bikes with one so they don't shred themselves on the outer ring, you get 3 for the price of one e-13 :)

·
John has a long moustache
141 Posts
Regardless of what brand you end up with, I would recommend a polycarbonate bash guard over an aluminum one. I have had both and the aluminum one can bend and trap the chain if it gets a good log strike. My MRP polycarbonate ring was $30 on Ebay. It's thicker than the standard aluminum ring but lighter. I have hit rocks, logs and had a few crashes with it and it isn't even chipped.

MTBR review link

·
the train keeps rollin
3,214 Posts
You will most likely need to dremel the bash to get it to fit XTR M970. I did. I like the P-series Gamut guards, light, and no special long mounting bolts needed.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
I have the 970s on 2 bikes running the same bash. While I really like poly Gamut bashguards, as others have noted (given how close the arm is to the ring area), they will need a lot of dremeling to work. Because I am too lazy, and because i found a bashguard (have used in past and like it) that actually looks custom made for the 970, went with it. Fits perfectly without any mods and its light, but not wimpy like some stoopid pointless lightweight bashrings which defeat the purpose.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Fo shizzle: You are only running the 22 and the 32 teeth chainring, right?

I am looking for a bash ring which I also can use my 42 chainring together with. It looks like the E Thirteen would fit with all three rings.

Can anyone confirm this - bashrings are quite quite new to me :)

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Danish Dynamite said:
Fo shizzle: You are only running the 22 and the 32 teeth chainring, right?

I am looking for a bash ring which I also can use my 42 chainring together with. It looks like the E Thirteen would fit with all three rings.

Can anyone confirm this - bashrings are quite quite new to me :)
oh...no, it doesnt, nor would i want it to be. truthfully, if you need a bashring for riding, you likely wouldnt want or need a big ring anyway. the point of the bashring also is to configure the bike to have as much "clearance" from obstacles as possible and as such, a 44t ring, bashring, etc, will be closer to the ground/obstacle so you would also be losing the point of having clearance. I run a 32t as my middle ring and have the smallest possible bashring to maximize clearance. Many folks run a 36t and have a corresponding bashring since they like the slightly bigger ring up front (as compared to a 32t). You are not going to find anything robust that will accompany a big ring (ie, 44t) as well as far as I know anyway

·
Ride the dream
1,381 Posts
Mr Foshizzle - thats really good advice (is silenty impressed - given reputation).

Agreed - for the kind of riding you would need a bash for, you wouldnt need a 44T ring.
For the sort of riding you would want a 44T ring for, you wouldnt need a bash.
And besides, bashrings designed for going over 3 rings are often no protection at all - they just bend. They wouldnt be worth the money or the weight penalty (remember that rotating weight is worth 4x static weight)

If you dont think a 36T ring is enough to go downhill on, you might be surprised to hear that its what Steve Peat has (reputedly) been using for years.

Personaly, I would rarely top-out a 32T ring on even the most severe trail riding (and I suspect even most downhillers wouldnt top out a 32T ring too easily).

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
EnglishT said:
Mr Foshizzle - thats really good advice (is silenty impressed - given reputation).
please do not agree with me in any context...silent or otherwise; i have a reputation i have worked hard at creating and I dont need you screwing it up.

Chur

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
You blew it, dude!

FoShizzle said:
please do not agree with me in any context...silent or otherwise; i have a reputation i have worked hard at creating and I dont need you screwing it up.

Chur
Now everyone knows you are just the cranky, grizzly, curmudgeon who's really just a big, soft teddybear on the inside like we see in all those nauseating Hallmark movies.:D

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks - I only need the bash ring for a short trip to Norway so I think I will buy the FSA which Foshizzle recommends and then put on the 44T chainring once I get home.

The FSA bash ring is also quite cheap compared to some of the other bash rings :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
MRP makes a product called the XCG which mounts between the bottom bracket shell and the bottom bracket cup that acts somewhat like a bashguard. Universal cycles has it on their website. Might be worth a look. It won't give you the added ground clearance of a bash ring, but it will protect you when you go over a log or obstacle.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.