Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at all the Mojo pics, I noticed that most of the Mojos riders don't use a bashguard...
I ordered one for my XT crankset + a mid XT RD cage and now I'm wondering if I made a mistake...opinions appreciated.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Depends where you are riding

I noticed you are in MA from the previous thread. If you ride places like the Fells you probably don't need one. At rocky places like harold parker, lynn woods, vietnam, you do. I broke off a lot of teeth on my big ring before I took it off and added a guard on a dual ring setup. I have xtr cranks, and with the XT's I am sure all you have to do is remove the outer ring and screw in the guard (provided you get the correct bolt pattern) Then you can always change it back if you are riding more Xc areas. I found I was never using the big ring anyway and I wanted the extra clearance of getting a smaller bash guard.

·
Happy when not-last.
221 Posts
The main reason I've kept my large chairing is because I use it as a bashguard. I find the teeth are the best thing for gripping a log.

With that said, I'll probably be removing it soon for an actual guard to gain about 1/2" clearance. I'm thinking probably one of the ones that look like a saw blade, just barely bigger than my middle chairing.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I just bought one for my XTR cranks

The trail from my house is extremely rocky and I have smashed a few of the teeth on my big ring, so I bought a shimano bash guard for about $30 to replace the big ring. I am going to install it tonight.

·
Founder: Dirty3hirties
2,031 Posts
I got rid of it a long time ago....even before the Mojo. But it does depend on what you ride. The Mojo has a low BB so if you're doing anything remotely technical, you're gonna risk bashing your teeth in. The XT cranks are getting expensive compared to 5 years ago...they're the same price as XTR's from that period so I definitely wouldn't want to ruin it. So with the bashguard, you gain clearance and you won't trash the most expensive ring.

I think you see a lot of Mojo's with the large ring.....more so than other bikes in the 5X5 range because the Mojo also attracts XC and endurance racers who want it.

The main reason I've kept my large chairing is because I use it as a bashguard. I find the teeth are the best thing for gripping a log.
Yes, it does....also likes taking a bite out of your calf to....hungry li'l sucker :thumbsup:

·
Happy Mojo Rider
141 Posts
Guys
I was wondering if you could help me out,I don't know the bolt pattern for my XT cranks and I don't have the bike in front of me waiting for it to get shipped to me) What bashguards have you guys been using for the XT cranks?
Thanks For The Replies
Ted

·
Registered
515 Posts
I put a MRP Carbon ring on mine, works and looks great. I have XT cranks.. A bit spendy $$$119.99. But hey it's for the mojo...

Item Number: MR-21-2-010 The Carbon ring represents the highest quality technology at the lightest weight.
Slalom size - 36T-40T
Only available in 4 Bolt 104 mm bolt circle
Weight: 60 grams

·
Founder: Dirty3hirties
2,031 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.