Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone use one? Got photos? I am thinking of putting one on my crank where the big blade use to sit, the empty spider arms of the crank looks a little weird :)

·
Registered
740 Posts
My opinion is not to bother - all that they seem to do (on a singlespeed) is collect crap between the bash and the chainring, which is a pain to clean out.
The chain does a pretty good job of protecting the chainring during log crossings etc, so I don't see any need for a bashring.

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
I've been using bashrings on my SS bikes for a few reasons:
- Strength: some have managed to bend the spider and chainring with Shimano 4 bolt cranks. The bash should add some strength there, just like a big ring.
- Chainring bolts: I can use regular ones, not shorter.
- Looks

I suppose it is not really necessary for log crossings and such. Not sure if rock contact is worse for the chain than tree contact.

some cheap bash the LBS happened to have, actually undersize with the 36T ring:

This came with the cranks:

·
Registered
58 Posts
I put the FSA bashguard back on my crank. I was tired of seeing a grease tatoo on my right calf from accidentally rubbing against the chain/sprocket.

·
Ovaries on the Outside
4,425 Posts
The only time I've used them was setting up my friends with 1x? combos. On ss I'd have to get over something at the very upper crust of my skill range before I brush anything. A bashguard would be a purely aesthetic addition to my bike.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I run one. I wasn't really to sure if I needed one at first, but the more I ride (and hit $hit with my bashring) I'm glad I have one.

Mike

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hah, I had to chime in here and say that I use my original big gear as a bash guard. Works pretty well and I didn't have any short bolts to just have the middle gear attached.

·
Registered
97 Posts
nanoage said:
Hah, I had to chime in here and say that I use my original big gear as a bash guard. Works pretty well and I didn't have any short bolts to just have the middle gear attached.
Did you grind off the teeth?

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
14,664 Posts
nanoage said:
No, its pretty much just waiting to cut my leg open.
A large chainring is nothing to fear. But a bashguard with teeth... that's a whole 'nuther animal.

--Sparty

·
Pwning Trails
197 Posts
my bash guard is getting hammered on my stylo 1.1, glad i have it else, chain would be all kinds of jacked.

·
Dive Bomber
770 Posts
I think I'll need bashguard since my SS looks silly with 22x16.
Well atleast I need sumthing to cover the empty chainring place and definitely not put the chainring there.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts