Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering how good an idea a bash guard is.

I have been off the bike for about 3 weeks and am finnaly get it back tomorrow and am REALLY excited to hit some trails.

Since i have been off for sooooooo long i cannot help but think of damage prevention so i will never have to go this long again without riding.

If someone (or everyone) could give me a rundown of different bash guards and the pros and cons of using them, it would be helpful in my decision if one is right for my bike.

Thanks!

Eric

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
The first choice is whether you want to keep all 3 chainrings and still have a bash, or if you'd be willing to replace the big ring with a bash. There are many more options/choices/designs for bashes that replace the big ring.

So, if you want to keep all three rings, make sure that the bashes you are considering are designed for that, since the majority will not. Off the top of my head, I know that Blackspire and Salsa make bashes that go over all 3 rings, I'm sure there are others out there too.

If you are willing to give up the big ring, you have a bunch of options. There are both metal and polycarbonate designs that replace your big ring. Polycarb is lighter, but arguably not as tough, however all that really depends on specific comparisons and not just on generalities. You can get bashes that are sized to cover up to a certain chainring size, so that the bash doesn't have to be any bigger than necessary.

I don't know many folks who use a bash on setups with all 3 rings because it just adds even more bulk and diameter to that whole area. Plus, I've heard it can be tricky (depending on the bash design) to get your front derailleur to play well with that setup.

But for a 2x9 or a 1x9, they make perfect sense. I like having the peace of mind with the bash in place.

On my 1x9, I use a e.13 Supercharger 36t-max polycarb bash. e.13, Blackspire, Salsa, Straitline, Race Face, Dangerboy, and whole bunch of others make bashes. Just search the big online retailers and you'll see tons of choices. Pick one that fits your configuration (replace big ring or not, max chainring tooth size, polycarb or not, and very impotantly - match your crank BCD pattern so you can install it)

For polycarb bashes, be careful not to overtighten them (easiest way to crack them and induce failure), and be careful not to get non-wax-based lube (chain lube for instance) all over them - those products will weaken the polycarb over time. If you are careful putting it on, and aren't silly crazy spraying lube all over, you'll be fine using a polycarb bash for a long, long time.

Well, that's a start...

Cheers, Chris

1 - 2 of 2 Posts