Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Rockflopper
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it unusual to put a bash guard on a xc bike? I ask because I recently bent some teeth on the chainring going over some logs and rocks and was thinking about installing a bash guard, but sine I've never seen a xc bike with a bash guard I wondering if this is common practice. Does it add too much weight or does it just indicate that you're goofy noob that can't jump obstacles :D ?

What kind of bashguard would be best for a rockhopper? Any thoughts are welcome.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I haven't installed one yet but it's in the future. I'll sacrafice a little weight to save teeth. Like ski n ride I'll be replacing the big ring since I don't use it on my trails. So really your probably not gaining a lot of weight. Plus bashing that on a log will be smoother than augering it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Let's look at it this way; what is the most important to you:

1) weight
2) looks
3) protecting your chainring

I have a Dangerboy bashguard, which is less chunky and attentive-grabbing than most other chainrings I've seen:

http://www.speedgoat.com/product.asp?part=106628&cat=50&brand=14

I'll post a pic of it on my bike a little later so you can get the idea of what it looks like on a bike. And I imagine it is lighter than the bigger ones too.

·
Rockflopper
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
nugzboltz said:
Let's look at it this way; what is the most important to you:

1) weight
2) looks
3) protecting your chainring

I have a Dangerboy bashguard, which is less chunky and attentive-grabbing than most other chainrings I've seen:

http://www.speedgoat.com/product.asp?part=106628&cat=50&brand=14

I'll post a pic of it on my bike a little later so you can get the idea of what it looks like on a bike. And I imagine it is lighter than the bigger ones too.
Most important to me is protecting the chainring followed closely by looks. More than likely I will just be replacing the big ring, seeing that I hardly ever use those gears while on the trail, so weight is not that big of a factor.

How easy is it to switch these things out? Since I use my bike for commuting as well as trail riding I would like the option of easily taking the guard off when not using it for jumping over rocks and logs.

·
Five is right out
3,176 Posts
Get one of the BBG guards off ebay. Off memory, they weigh less than 100g. Protects the middle ring fine for XC and costs peanuts. Oh, and it's tastefully understated compared to the e13s and Blackspires with their overly loud logos.

·
Registered
81 Posts
It should be very simple to change out the BG. I have a FSA Afterburner crankset, which has the middle and outer chain rings held to the crankarm with 4 bolts. All I need is a T-30 torx wrench to undo the bolts and simply swap out the outer ring and BG.

·
Registered
51 Posts
kristoffer said:
i'm having a hard time with this. does the bashguard replace the big ring? is there one that goes over the big ring so that i don't have to get rid of it?
Yeah look at my post above with the pic. Thats a blackspire that covers all 3 rings. It's kind of bulky though........ with the bashguard and all 3 rings. I think I'm going to drop the big ring and get a smaller bashguard to take its place in the near future.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I've had one on for five years. I kept my big ring. Before that I had a big ring with about half it's teeth because of the trails I ride. I use my big ring when I race so I wanted a bash guard that covered all of them. Think of it this way...it's a $1 a tooth. My bashguard is air-light.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I know of XC riders who take their big ring off and replace with a bashguard after they have been cut by their big rings while crashing.....

I recently installed a bashguard for a different reason......I was getting sick and tired of adjusting my front derailler to work on all three rings and got fed up and figured I could live with one less gear so i took off the big one and replaced it with a race-face 44T bashguard....I have not missed it since..

·
All 26.5" all the time!
1,855 Posts
Rick Moranis said:
Is it unusual to put a bash guard on a xc bike? I ask because I recently bent some teeth on the chainring going over some logs and rocks and was thinking about installing a bash guard, but sine I've never seen a xc bike with a bash guard I wondering if this is common practice. Does it add too much weight or does it just indicate that you're goofy noob that can't jump obstacles :D ?

What kind of bashguard would be best for a rockhopper? Any thoughts are welcome.
Depends on what you mean by XC.

A light weight hardtail MTB primarily used for racing on groomed courses? No, you won't see many with bashguards.

A typical hardtail MTB for general off road riding? Yes, bashguards are very commonly used. I've had a bash guard installed on many of my "XC" hardtails since 1991 or so.

·
Weekend Warrior
1,078 Posts

·
Double-metric mtb man
4,482 Posts
eNVy makes another one...can't remember the weight, but it was light. I added it outside my 3rd ring on my Cake...

Here's what the eNVy ring looks like on my ride...

If you look carefully, you can see all three rings in there.

This shot is of the other side, showing how the ring looks with the chainrings tucked safely behind :)

·
Registered
110 Posts
I'm using an FSA that weighs in at 90-something grams. I bought it on Jensonusa.com

To answer your question: yes, it's good for XC. I never used my big ring and have puncture scars all over my right leg from that durn thing. I actually took it a step farther and converted my bike to an 8 speed and love it. My chain is sandwiched between a jump stop and my bash guard--yeah, it's cool.

·
beautiful noise...
321 Posts
BBG works for me...

I've known Erin that makes the BBG gaurds for a few years, he's a local. I've been running one on my Kona for 2+ years with absolutely no issues and I've straight plowed over my fair share of rocks, logs, etc... I've also bought a number of them for friends as gifts. The things weight approx 2oz which is less then some big rings! They come in many different colors and if you contact him directly he can do custom lettering, designs, etc... Ditch the outer ring and enjoy the additional clearance :thumbsup:

http://sporting-goods.search.ebay.com/bbg_Cycling_W0QQ_trksidZm37QQcatrefZC12QQfromZR40QQsacatZ7294

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.