Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, clearly new here. Got my new Zesty 427 6 weeks ago and it rides amazing, but i'm wanting to fit a bash guard to it. Tried scouring the internet but struggling to find anyone who's done the same but retained the second ring upfront, is it possible by just using longer bolts? On a 3X10 i'd lost the biggest ring but i don't want to do that on this drivetrain.

Thanks

·
Registered
327 Posts
You can't do much with a 2x10 setup other than a taco type bash guard, check out the MRP XCG or similar.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Funnily enough that's exactly what i was looking at, was just hoping there was a way of making it work (like longer bolts)

Cheers anyway

·
Registered
691 Posts
Look into the Blackspire Twinty...it's friggen awesome and saved my large chainring four days ago going over a boulder. I run a 39/26t on my El Guapo and have had zero issues with this piece and it doesn't seem to add much drag to the chain.

·
beater
5,991 Posts
You can't do much with a 2x10 setup other than a taco type bash guard, check out the MRP XCG or similar.
Sure you can. It just depends on the crankset. A couple years ago you could only find 104 BCD bashguards, but 120 BCD bashguards are available now. From Blackspire, for example.

My drivetrain is a 2x10 with a X9 crankset. I have the 64/104 spider and an e13 Turbocharger.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm running Raceface Turbines, was wanting to get the new hope bash guard (going for the purple theme). Theoretically longer bolts would work?

·
Registered
327 Posts
I tried a Raceface bash ring on my turbine (24T 36T) 2x cranks, but, If I remember properly It wouldn't work because the bashring (38T) got in the way of the front derailer which was a direct mount so I didn't much room for adjustment. Maybe your luck will be better.
I was happy enough with my XCG, that I kept it even after going 1x.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So basically i'm looking at running a chain guide like a blackspire as opposed to an out and out bash guard such as the hope?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Should probably mention i'm running a Shimano XT shadow plus rear derailleur so not really in need of the chain tensioner

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Hi guys, clearly new here. Got my new Zesty 427 6 weeks ago and it rides amazing,
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the 427 come with Raceface Turbine 36/22 cranks?

If those are what you have then they are normal 104/64 spider cranks and you can fit any standard 104mm bash guard with the aid of some longer bolts, the little covers on the outer edge of the crank spider just come off with the bolts and there are standard flat tabs underneath. That's how the aftermarket models are anyway.

A picture of your cranks would really help here.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the 427 come with Raceface Turbine 36/22 cranks?

If those are what you have then they are normal 104/64 spider cranks and you can fit any standard 104mm bash guard with the aid of some longer bolts, the little covers on the outer edge of the crank spider just come off with the bolts and there are standard flat tabs underneath. That's how the aftermarket models are anyway.

A picture of your cranks would really help here.
Will upload one tomorrow, yeah they are the same cranks i have, hence why i presumed i'd be able to just use longer bolts while keeping both rings

·
Ride On!
1,069 Posts
Tossed my 3rd ring and added a Raceface bash guard, no more tiger marks on my legs :thumbsup: and totally like a 2x9 setup, highly recommended! Oh, by the way that's a 34t bash guard and a 32t ring... no problems with rubbing or shifting
bashguard.jpg

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
With a converted setup like that, is the little gear fully usable or ? I want to go 2x10 24/38 but want fully usable gears

·
Registered
604 Posts
Not sure if these will work for your specific crank, they are made for SRAM 2 x 10, but I have two of these used for sale, edges bashed a bit but not bent. Both are grey, not black like the picture. One is for 39T, the other is 42T. I'll be posting in a classifieds ad soon with a bunch of other stuff if you want to wait for pics. $30 each shipped in lower 48. PM if interested.

BSnewDEFENDERgrdX0.jpg

·
Registered
482 Posts
You may not be able to use a bash ring with a two speed front derailleur. I found that the Shimano two speed front derailleur as would any I think sits a mm or two above the teeth of the ring and a bash is bigger than that. Go taco style. Go with the one that fits around the bb cup as opposed to ISCG as I have been told (not experienced myself) that the ISCG tabs are not strong enough.

·
Registered
327 Posts
You may not be able to use a bash ring with a two speed front derailleur. I found that the Shimano two speed front derailleur as would any I think sits a mm or two above the teeth of the ring and a bash is bigger than that. Go taco style. Go with the one that fits around the bb cup as opposed to ISCG as I have been told (not experienced myself) that the ISCG tabs are not strong enough.
This is exactly the problem I had, with the RF 2x 24T/36T crankset. When I put the Bash on there wasn't enough clearance for the derailer to shift to the 36 ring. Which is why I also recommend a taco bash. I have run both MRP AMG and XCG on ISCG05 mounts with no issues.

·
Registered
197 Posts

I run a 2x10 converted 3x10 with a straitline bash ring. The front derailleur is a 3 speed, just limited so it only shifts the 2 gears. No issues here. I'm running a 24T, 32T. I know my setup is a littke different than yours though.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 21 Posts