Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a Fuel EX 6.5 a few months ago with the Shimano M521 Ocatlink 44/32/22 crank. I'm looking to get a bash guard to protect from log crossings and such. Can anyone recommend one? Also, noob question but I'm assuming the the 32 in the 44/32/22 is the number of teeth?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sixate said:
Have a BBG bashguard on my bike, and it works great. And yes, 32 is the amount of teeth. I'm assuming you're planning on taking off your 44t ring? You'll need to adjust the limit on the front derailleur so you can't shift higher than your 32t chainring.

http://www.bbgbashguard.com/Mountainbike.html
I didn't realize I'd need to take the 44t ring off. It wouldn't be that big a deal though as I rarely use that gear anyway. Maybe once in a blue moon when I'm on the road. Ok, so I would need a bashbguard for 32t like the one in the top left corner of the bbg link you posted? Could I just use the 44t bashguard and leave the 44t ring on?
Thanks

·
Registered
410 Posts
BH Cubed said:
I didn't realize I'd need to take the 44t ring off. It wouldn't be that big a deal though as I rarely use that gear anyway. Maybe once in a blue moon when I'm on the road. Ok, so I would need a bashbguard for 32t like the one in the top left corner of the bbg link you posted? Could I just use the 44t bashguard and leave the 44t ring on?
Thanks
If you want to lose the big ring and put a bash in it's place then yes, just order a 32t. You'll have to adjust the high limit on the front derailleur so you can't shift past the middle ring. It's simple and only takes a few seconds. Also, when you put a bashguard on make sure you shift into the small chainring up front before loosening the bolts for the middle and outer rings.

If you want to keep your 44t ring then get one of these as josh8 suggested:

http://www.bikebling.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=Salsa-ToothFairy-Triple

It'll mount on the outside of your 44t ring, and I believe it comes with spacers to allow room for the chain. I have a road bike so I almost never have my 44t ring on the bike. I like having the extra clearance when I'm on the trail, but get the bashguard that fits your needs best.

·
I'd rather be riding!
258 Posts
I'll vouch for the BBG Bashguard too. I took of my 44t and added the 32 BBG one year ago on my Top Fuel 69er and have not looked back. Bunches more clearance and I virtually never miss the big ring.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
sixate You'll have to adjust the high limit on the front derailleur so you can't shift past the middle ring. It's simple and only takes a few seconds. .[/QUOTE said:
Ok, I got the big ring off and the bashguard on, no problem. I'm just not quite sure how to adjust the front derailleur. Could you explain it to me? Sorry I'm a noob, lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.