Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just dinkin around with the settings on my new bike, a '02 rfx w/ '05 pack rear/rockers, a '06 dhxc and a '05 66 rc. i weigh about 160lbs w/o gear, im old and slow and have no big bike experience.

currently i have no psi in the 150mm fork and im close to full open (fast) on both rebound and compression. sag seems to be a issue but maybe thats cuz its not so close to bein broken in. what that means is it doesnt have much right now, maybe 20% at best.

dt sent along a 500lb spring and im runnin 75psi of boost, close to full open (fast) on rebound, pp in the middle and the same for bottom out. sag at 30%. i read this somewhere in here the other day and went for it.

am i remotely close? im under a foot of snow so theres not alot i can do myself. would be sweet to get some baseline ideas for setup. this setup passes the basement test for all you midwesterners btw.

·
Registered
7,018 Posts
cactuscorn said:
just dinkin around with the settings on my new bike, a '02 rfx w/ '05 pack rear/rockers, a '06 dhxc and a '05 66 rc. i weigh about 160lbs w/o gear, im old and slow and have no big bike experience.

currently i have no psi in the 150mm fork and im close to full open (fast) on both rebound and compression. sag seems to be a issue but maybe thats cuz its not so close to bein broken in. what that means is it doesnt have much right now, maybe 20% at best.

dt sent along a 500lb spring and im runnin 75psi of boost, close to full open (fast) on rebound, pp in the middle and the same for bottom out. sag at 30%. i read this somewhere in here the other day and went for it.

am i remotely close? im under a foot of snow so theres not alot i can do myself. would be sweet to get some baseline ideas for setup. this setup passes the basement test for all you midwesterners btw.
... I would bump the Boost to 90-100 psi personally. I use 2-5 clicks of PP depending what I am riding that day. You may find you need to remove a spring from the 66 & substitute with an air spring in that leg to get it supple enough for you. Are you running the fork in 150 or 170mm mode?

·
Registered
291 Posts
66rc

At 160lb you might want to consider taking a spring out of that fork. I weight about 190 and get just enough sag without running any air pressure in the fork. Also you might want to consider adding rebound dampening. Free ride forks should rebound slower than XC forks. Play around with the setting, it somewhat of a personal preference issue.

·
Just another FOC'er
2,222 Posts
jncarpenter said:
... I would bump the Boost to 90-100 psi personally. I use 2-5 clicks of PP depending what I am riding that day. You may find you need to remove a spring from the 66 & substitute with an air spring in that leg to get it supple enough for you. Are you running the fork in 150 or 170mm mode?
I'm 160ish with a 500 spring and run 110 psi, BO 1 turn from full out, no PP and it works great on my Pack. I've probably got the compression damping a little higher than I need it, but I don't want it to bottom going off drops.

CC said 150mm fork. The '05 170mm would be too high to be fun on anything but the downs...

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanx a ton guys. ill mess with it all in the months to come. now greg, is it possible to run just 1 spring in 1 leg or did i misunderstand what you were tellin me? are there lighter springs for this fork that might be a better idea? i kinda like jnc's idea of a 1 sided air spring. time to go lookin in my catologs for parts i guess. funny i never saw any info on this issue in all the reviews i read but maybe im a lightweight in more than one respect.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Yes it's possible to run the fork with just one spring. I'm not aware of lighter springs but I could be wrong. Try removing a spring and adding air. For more information try posting on the DH/FR forum. Lots of people there run the 66 with just one spring.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.