Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Title pretty much says it.

I am contemplating trying a mullet config, but to get the geometry “right”, it means dropping the fork to 120mm in the front when the back is 150mm. It’s kind of a big gap.

Or not, if you think that it’s all about the quality of the suspension over the bulk travel? Or maybe 30mm is to big a gap no matter the quality?

what say you? If you could go bigger on the front wheel but had to reduce travel to 30mm less than the rear, is the improved rollover worth the reduced travel?

for the record, it’s 130/150 now and runs fine, but better is always the enemy of good….

·
Registered
139 Posts
Sounds hilarious with 130 front and 150 out back. Can you provide a picture of this monstrosity?

·
Registered
583 Posts
I'd upfork max 20 mm from the rear travel, but I'd never run less travel in the front. Psychologically it would throw me off.

I currently run a reba (130mm ) on a tallboy 3 (110mm rear) and its a dream

·
Registered
719 Posts
I have a Trance with 140mm front and rear. The fork is a TALAS and can be reduced to 110mm. At 110/140, the bike isn't unrideable.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Well with the Trance, you're also changing the geometry a lot when you drop the fork to 110. I think I feel the changed geometry (lower but steeper) more than the loss of travel. So I can't extrapolate much to the OP's situation.

I think bikes with more rear than front travel were very common in the early (circa 1999) days of full suspension, lots of bikes with 120mm in the back and 80mm up front. But I guess that might only prove that that was a bad idea, lol.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Short answer for me would be a resounding 'no' to a 130/150 (f/r). But it would be the same for a 120/150 as well, I think.

Pics?

·
Registered
4,615 Posts
Seems a bit much. But who knows, maybe the fact that the bike gets slacker as the travel is used would be an advantage?
Personally if I was committed to going Mullet on this bike I'd shoot for more like 140F/ 150R and just accept those side effects.

Better yet, just buy the new Bronson!

·
Registered
363 Posts
I get the appeal of taking a perfectly good bike and making it worse. I ride a singlespeed...

I wouldn't do this, though.

The point of reduced travel-adjust forks on full squish was to both lower the fork travel AND lockout the rear suspenion for smooth climbs. Modern suspension designs work so well, I've never found it necessary to use any lockout in the past 20 years or so. If I'm going to bother with rear suspension, then I run it plush and deep.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Mullet bikes have officially reached peak ridiculousness. Thank you for this post.
Pretending it's not sarcasm. You're welcome! bikes are fun :)

Sounds like a frankenbike build

Sent from my LIO-N29 using Tapatalk
Yep, it's a custom. A "custom", ha! Total franken bike with oldie to semi modern to modern parts. Actually, it's a total fun tinker bike. Wouldn't dream of monkeying with my 2020 bike. In fact, it's an awesome compare/contrast. How well does the frankenbike compare to the 2020 modern geo? or not.... Then make an adjustment and see how it works again. The trails I ride are rough and rocky. My "test" trail is ridge-sawpit in demo. If the tinkerbike can ride that trail well, I don't care if it's de-optimized for most other riding, it will be a blast to ride!

One always needs a bike to ride, and a bike to tinker. Though I'm riding the tinker bike more than the 2020 these days....

Anyways, normally I just try things and see. But the burden to upsize the front wheel is high because the rim is a couple hundred bucks then I have to rebuild the wheel. Then if it is no good, rebuild back. Or double the cost and get a new hub which I really don't want to do due to having spare parts around I will never use.

That's why I figured to ask the MTBR collective. Comparing suspension travel to bigger-wheel rollover.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I rode with a guy who had a rigid fork & 120 mm rear shock. He rode the Cape Epic a few times so I think you're probably good.

·
Registered
357 Posts
if you can swap a headset spacer from bottom to top you can adjust for stack and reach somewhat. BB height and effective STA will not change with this though. I used to ride a 2011 giant reign x with with 160mm front 167mm rear travel. It worked great but i haven’t had expeince with anything beyond this.

·
Premium Member
6,128 Posts
Mullet bikes have officially reached peak ridiculousness. Thank you for this post.
Oh no, there is still room to bring back 24” rear wheels. 2023, the year when manufacturers introduce new better balanced bikes with the same sized wheels front and rear.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts