Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello, helpful forum.
I'm getting ready for my race season, which starts in late May and runs through November. I did the appropriate off season, cross training, weight training, and now I'm finally back on the bike. I've logged in at least 600k of base training (ie road bike, small ring, high cadence... long, low-to-medium intensity rides), and now I need to start working the intervals. Only problem is, every time I'm in the big ring it KILLS my knees. I tried pushing the big gears for just 3k about 2 weeks ago, and I was having problems walking afterwards. I haven't been out on the trails much yet, but I'm really worried about this! Has anyone experienced similar pain? It's below my knees and pretty well even on both sides.
Thanks...

·
Registered
215 Posts
Sounds like you need to have your bike setup looked at. Your bike might be to small. It may also be that your seat is to low, or needs to be adjusted in the fore/ aft position or that your cleats aren't aligned. Take your bike to a professional bike fitter. Another thing that will help is strength training. Building up the muscles around your knees puts less stress on them. I've had knee problems for a long time and now that I got my bike fit sorted out and some good strength in my legs my knees feel great. Good luck with this I know that bad knees really suck.

·
Registered
969 Posts
know what ya mean...

xcdemon said:
hello, helpful forum.
I'm getting ready for my race season, which starts in late May and runs through November. I did the appropriate off season, cross training, weight training, and now I'm finally back on the bike. I've logged in at least 600k of base training (ie road bike, small ring, high cadence... long, low-to-medium intensity rides), and now I need to start working the intervals. Only problem is, every time I'm in the big ring it KILLS my knees. I tried pushing the big gears for just 3k about 2 weeks ago, and I was having problems walking afterwards. I haven't been out on the trails much yet, but I'm really worried about this! Has anyone experienced similar pain? It's below my knees and pretty well even on both sides.
Thanks...
Last year I went from a 25 lb hardtail of 7 years to a 35 lb 6x6 full susie. My knees hurt so much that I honestly feared I would have to give up riding. After three months of riding the heavy bike, the pain finally left and I'm stronger and faster than ever!

So perhaps bike weight is a factor for you.

Best of luck man. Whatever you do, don't dispare - you'll find your way through this.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.