Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still thinking of swapping the Lefty for a RS Pike or Marz All Mt as a project over the snowy winter.
How much does a base Lefty go for on the used market (If I decide to sell)?

remember...no TPC or SPV...not carbon.
I see the upper models selling for big bucks on Ebay.

Any Prophet owners with PIKE (or other non Lefty forks) feedback? Photos?

thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
538 Posts
freeriderB said:
I'm still thinking of swapping the Lefty for a RS Pike or Marz All Mt as a project over the snowy winter.
How much does a base Lefty go for on the used market (If I decide to sell)?

remember...no TPC or SPV...not carbon.
I see the upper models selling for big bucks on Ebay.

Any Prophet owners with PIKE (or other non Lefty forks) feedback? Photos?

thanks
Ever consider a TPC upgrade for $70? The lefty blows those forks away.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
351 Posts
damion said:
Very few people call the contental US "the lower 48". That is a very common Term up here.
Not hardly..."Lower 48" is a term used quite frequently on Ebay by US sellers to warn international bidders that shipping could get expensive if they bid & win.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,882 Posts
I am not e-bay savvy.

Elzippo said:
Not hardly..."Lower 48" is a term used quite frequently on Ebay by US sellers to warn international bidders that shipping could get expensive if they bid & win.
I get it now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
538 Posts
Ride_Ypsi said:
Where would you go about getting the TPC upgrade? From Manitou, Cannodale or eleswhere?
Go to your cdale dealer 60 for the TPC compression dampener and 15 for the blue knob.

It's a very, very easy install. Don't even have to change the oil or even take the fork off the bike.

And whoa, what a difference it makes. We're talking night and day.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,882 Posts
For sure.

However, If you have already broken in your fork, an oil change is a good idea anyways. You are already there.

The TPC upgrade is a must.

Night and day.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
205 Posts
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=1362710#post1362710

4x with pike, handles great at full extension. I would really recommend the fork for this bike. with 2 shock positions and u-turn, you really have a lot of options as far as angles and BB height go. My only gripe is that the knobs of the pike are a little tall for my liking.

Compared to the tpc forks I've ridden, I feel like I can count on the motion control damping to manage the travel well and have it there when I need it. More-so than any fork I've used, I feel like I can count on it not to go crazy on me when the trail does.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
edge said:
Go to your cdale dealer 60 for the TPC compression dampener and 15 for the blue knob.

It's a very, very easy install. Don't even have to change the oil or even take the fork off the bike.

And whoa, what a difference it makes. We're talking night and day.
Cool, thanks for the info.
Sorry for hijacking the thread. One more question.

I just got my black P600 that has the Lefty with FFD, which I belive is the cheaper version of TPC. It's only been out on local loop snowrides and dog jogging so far, so I haven't really got a good feel for the fork yet.
Does the TPC upgrade give you the compression lock out as well?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,882 Posts
no lockout.

Ride_Ypsi said:
Cool, thanks for the info.
Sorry for hijacking the thread. One more question.

I just got my black P600 that has the Lefty with FFD, which I belive is the cheaper version of TPC. It's only been out on local loop snowrides and dog jogging so far, so I haven't really got a good feel for the fork yet.
Does the TPC upgrade give you the compression lock out as well?
What it does is gives you a seperate floating piston, that controls the bottoming at the mid-end of the stroke. YOu will have an external adjuster at the bottom of the leg to control the compression speed/ bottoming out.

with this upgrade, the fork is very supple at the top of the stroke for the small ripples/stutter bumps, but is able to suck up the big spike hits and bottoming out with ease. I weigh 230, ride hard on a 130mm max with tpc. for trailriding, I never feel it bottom out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Which Pike are you running?

I know there are 3 models...but can't remember the differences.
Is there a coil version? or do they all have air assist?

Which rear shock are you using on the 4X?

Thanks for the info...

pin-it said:
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=1362710#post1362710

4x with pike, handles great at full extension. I would really recommend the fork for this bike. with 2 shock positions and u-turn, you really have a lot of options as far as angles and BB height go. My only gripe is that the knobs of the pike are a little tall for my liking.

Compared to the tpc forks I've ridden, I feel like I can count on the motion control damping to manage the travel well and have it there when I need it. More-so than any fork I've used, I feel like I can count on it not to go crazy on me when the trail does.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
205 Posts
It's a little more complex than 3 models.

There are 3 types of guts:
dual air with motion control, D
air u-turn with motion control, A
coil u-turn with motion control, U

There are also 3 levels in terms of externals: (in 2006/2005 names)
454/Team: hollow crown and aluminum steerer tube, external gate adjust,
426/Race: External gate adjust, solid crown, steel steerer tube,
409/SL: semi-internal gate adjust, solid crown, steel steerer tube.

I'm not certain if each external config is available with each internal. This is all from sram's page, so give that a peep when you get the chance to do some more research.

I'm using the swinger 4-way, which I'm not thrilled with but not unhappy with. The coil pikes don't have air assist.

freeriderB said:
I know there are 3 models...but can't remember the differences.
Is there a coil version? or do they all have air assist?

Which rear shock are you using on the 4X?

Thanks for the info...
 

·
Low speed, High Drag
Joined
·
946 Posts
Does theTPC upgrade work on the Lefty Max 140, as well? I was thinking of swapping my Lefty for something with a little more adjustability. Sixty bucks sounds a lot better than buying a fork, wheel, stem, etc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,882 Posts
FFD right?

kevhogaz said:
Does theTPC upgrade work on the Lefty Max 140, as well? I was thinking of swapping my Lefty for something with a little more adjustability. Sixty bucks sounds a lot better than buying a fork, wheel, stem, etc.
It is the base Max, with a Fluid Flow damper? If so, you can get a TPC upgrade for it. It is well worth it.
 

·
Low speed, High Drag
Joined
·
946 Posts
damion said:
It is the base Max, with a Fluid Flow damper? If so, you can get a TPC upgrade for it. It is well worth it.
I don't have any adjustments, besides a rebound knob on the top of the fork. I think my fork is one below the FFD equipped model. The upgrade won't work on my fork, I take it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,882 Posts
What bike is it on?

kevhogaz said:
I don't have any adjustments, besides a rebound knob on the top of the fork. I think my fork is one below the FFD equipped model. The upgrade won't work on my fork, I take it?
Is it a Lefty Max 140, or a DLR2?

If it is a max, I am almost positive that it is a FFD model. If I am right, the TPC upgrade is a no-brainer.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top