Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This could have gone in the wheels/tires section, so please move if the mods deem necessary.

Question: if you had an early season race with many short punchy climbs with one 10 minute ascent, which of these tires would you put on the rear of a short-travel 29er if conditions are hardpack with just a little bit of sand BUT with areas of mud in northern exposure. No rocks, no roots.

If it matters, rim is 27mm ID carbon, pressure often 23 to 25. Cat 1 @ 72kg.

Vittoria Barzo TNT G+ 2.35 or Maxxis Forekaster EXO TR 2.35

Or is it splitting hairs, and one doesn't have a big advantage in rolling resistance? I have been known to get paralysis by analysis, ha.

Due to budget and timing and availability, these are the only two options in the garage. I know the Barzo is often used as a front with the Mezcal, and the Forekaster is more of a wet or loose conditions tire, but it's reliable and gives good traction out of saddle. Beggars can't be choosers, but they can ask the question, ha. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I like the Barzo front and rear when it gets loose. Ran that setup most of 2018 on my Top Fuel for XC stuff, liked it enough to stock up on the G+ TNT closeouts before the Graphene 2.0 got launched. It's a skinny 2.25 though if that matters.

Probably both good options, I've never run the Forekaster but sounds similar in wet.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Forekasters and Barzo are similar, and both are great. The Forekaster has better grip and is more confident feeling. The Barzo feels a little quicker rolling. It doesn't sound like a traction limited course, so I'd choose the Barzo in the back. If you were asking about the front wheel, I'd go Forekaster.

·
Registered
8,019 Posts
I haven't run the Barzo so can't comment on it. However, the Forecaster is designed for wet conditions and I find it fairly draggy on the rear. Outside of a mud race it wouldn't be my choice as a rear tire.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
IMO the Barzo does everything pretty well. If your mud is more watery/thin, I'd consider the Mezcal because it's very fast on the hardpack, but if it's at all sticky the Barzo will clear it better. I have Mezcals on my fs bike, they felt so very fast this early season on the drier courses, - super happy with those. I had Barzo's fr&rr last season on my hardtail, I moved those to my kids ht bike this season, but I think I'm going to go back to Barzo's fr/rr for the hardtail for the early season next year.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.