Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After "racing" my RFX 50mi last year I finally made up my mind that a lighter rig might be nice for longer more pedally rides. Snagged this puppy when Larry first started offering discounted '08s last summer/fall as an investment. Painfully waited to acquire funds/parts and finally got'er built up last month. This is my "XC" bike; while some might think that a TA fork, 10mm skewer, and 120mm fork up front is overkill, I like slack(er) bikes and weight approximately a ton so I'll take a small weight plenty in the interest of strength and durability.

This is my first wagon wheeled bike and I'm impressed so far, I kind of think of it like a XC bike with some privileges that help hide my lack of line picking ability and overall slowness. Wheel flop is minimal to me anyway and I'm the limiting factor for acceleration. Oh and all you big wheel zealots complaining about the lack of gearing lower than 22 x 34 need to HTFU :devil:. Full build spec. here.

Who am I kidding, you're all just hear for the photos....

Reba TA + I9 hub + Hope floating rotor = surgery

How about some meaningless bling?

Welcome to my office

Natural habitat

See that dude on the ground? Got mesmerized by the orange wheel and stood in my line so I crushed him with the sultery wagon. You've been warned.

JHA (just huffing along)

And yes the brake lines need to be cut and bleed and the donut holder needs trimming but I'm fair too busy writing e-ride reports to take care of this.

Needless to say my RFX is a little pissed about the addition I think.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks y'all, soupper fun bike. I think it's different enough from my RFX that I can justify each rig (RFX weights 36 - 38lbs currently).

6th - I'm hoping with some better prep. this year I'll enjoy my 50miler(s) a bit more. Hundies are definitely on my radar as an accomplishment goal rather than shooting for a good time. Next year or the following at this point.

XC - I'm re-learning that light is nice as well, not everything has to be a chunky huckfest

JH - I'll drop you a pm next time I head south, Otis was one of the first places I thought of when I was piecing together this bike.

Derek - You're not the first to nickname it creamsicle, the guy who shot the photo of me standing called it the same thing. I honestly hadn't thought of it until then, I had always pictured the bike with black fork but white will do.

Hookler - ODI makes the clamps, I would think any shop/retailer with access to BTI/QBP should be able to source them for you. I either got them via universalcycles or speedgoat. Gotta throw in a plug for Larry and Mountain High though, he got me some nice pricing on a number of the bits and is easy to deal with.

·
Nature Rider, Not MTBer
2,695 Posts
skunkty14 said:

And yes the brake lines need to be cut and bleed and the donut holder needs trimming but I'm fair too busy writing e-ride reports to take care of this.

No hurry on that stuff. I've got seven months and counting with long brake lines and a generous doughnut holder. Details, details... Taking care of that stuff would decrease my riding time.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Well it's about time. :p

Looks great, and should complement the RFX nicely. You should try to make it out this way for one of PV NEMBA's epics later this summer/early fall. Lots of fun, and good preperation for the VT50 I imagine.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
miles e said:
Well it's about time. :p
:thumbsup:
miles e said:
Looks great, and should complement the RFX nicely. You should try to make it out this way for one of PV NEMBA's epics later this summer/early fall. Lots of fun, and good preperation for the VT50 I imagine.
I've wanted to make one of those rides for awhile now, I like the idea of a good epic ride.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.