Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, wifey and I are heading up for the 8 hour in Barrie.

We have decided to stay until at least Tuesday.

Where else should we ride while we are there?

Oh yeah, remember we are on 3 inch travel 20 lbs race bikes and not big hit wonders :D

Thanks for any tips or hints.

Steve
Kingston, Ontario

·
Registered
33 Posts
The Copeland forest

Park at the Pine Ridge parking lot just passed Horseshoe Valley. Park you car facing directly away from the the ski hill. There will be a trail 10 meters into the woods. When you get to this trail head uphill for 3 minutes . This will take you to a crossing of 3 awesome trails. Copeland drains like to other, so if it rains it will be fine in 1 hour.

Seriously awesome forest. You will love it.

·
More than a little slow
654 Posts
I don`t get to either place very often but I`ve got to agree that you have to go to both Copeland and Buckwallow. If you have to decide between them, go to Buck, my opinion.

·
Muskoka
3,482 Posts
Johnny H said:
Park at the Pine Ridge parking lot just passed Horseshoe Valley. Park you car facing directly away from the the ski hill.
Seriously awesome forest. You will love it.
Is that the small private ski hill/club directly across from Horseshoe, adjacent to Horseshoe XC facility?

·
Muskoka
3,482 Posts
dskunk said:
I don`t get to either place very often but I`ve got to agree that you have to go to both Copeland and Buckwallow. If you have to decide between them, go to Buck, my opinion.
Buckwallow in Gravenhurst, 40' drive from HH :thumbsup:

·
Registered
567 Posts
I have to say head to Buckwallow. I was there yesterday and I have to say I will be heading back as often as possible for the rest of the summer. It is totally worth the short drive from Barrie.
Actually If you decide to ride there on Monday, you will likely see me (or at least my truck in the parking lot).

·
Registered
33 Posts
Black Canoe Dog,

Yes it is. It used to be private but now is up for sale. There are actually 3 main places to start in the Copeland, The first being the Horseshoe Cross country center. The second is Pine Ridge ski resort. The last is the 5th line. I believe your best bet is to park at Pine Ridge because if you follow my previous instructions you will be at the junction of three awesome trails. The copeland is a massive forest with literally hours of great riding. What I like about it is the flow of the trails, the drainage, the serious climbs ie 2km's, the solitude, and well everything else.

·
Muskoka
3,482 Posts
Johnny H said:
Black Canoe Dog,

Yes it is. It used to be private but now is up for sale. There are actually 3 main places to start in the Copeland, The first being the Horseshoe Cross country center. The second is Pine Ridge ski resort. The last is the 5th line. I believe your best bet is to park at Pine Ridge because if you follow my previous instructions you will be at the junction of three awesome trails. The copeland is a massive forest with literally hours of great riding. What I like about it is the flow of the trails, the drainage, the serious climbs ie 2km's, the solitude, and well everything else.
Thanks! Yes I am quite familiar with Copeland Forest since I often ski out of the Horseshoe XC facility. Hands down my favourite ski trails because of the terrain and flow as you mentioned. I have often wondered about the biking. I have to get over but with gps on board so as to not get lost :thumbsup:

·
Registered
567 Posts
Creemore? Really? More details, please give directions from the Old Mill mindful a quick stop at the brewery for a couple samples. Or maybe that could wait until after the ride.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
The Creemore area you have to go explore, I am not sure how legal the riding is. Don't ride during prime hiking time :p

·
Registered
20 Posts
* Resurrected!*

I just moved here to Barrie from Mississauga, and I'm looking for some good, technical XC single track riding.

My friends and I used to to a lot of riding at Hilton Falls and Kelso in Milton; does anyone know how Copeland or Buckwallow compare?

I'll be hitting up the DH at Horseshoe Valley when I don't feel like doing the ascending work, so I think I'll be in the area a lot.

If there are any of you locals that'd be willing to show an out-of-towner the better trails to hit, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Kelso is probably as close to Buckwallow as you're going to get, but it really is hard to compare anything in the GTA to Buckwallow, the riding there is so unique. Hilton has the rocky but its anything but flowy (slow and technical).

If you're in Mississauga, don't forget to check out the Don Valley trails in Toronto, there is a good network of stuff out there, lots of fun. From Mississauga, you are also not too too far from Puslynch forest, which is outstanding.

·
Up, Up, and Away!
256 Posts
nspace said:
Kelso is probably as close to Buckwallow as you're going to get, but it really is hard to compare anything in the GTA to Buckwallow, the riding there is so unique. Hilton has the rocky but its anything but flowy (slow and technical).

If you're in Mississauga, don't forget to check out the Don Valley trails in Toronto, there is a good network of stuff out there, lots of fun. From Mississauga, you are also not too too far from Puslynch forest, which is outstanding.
I think he's saying he's moving away from Mississauga.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yeap, moved away from Mississauga (where all my riding buddies are at - MILTON MiLiTiA, whutup!!! :p)

I'm already here in Barrie, but my bikes are still down there...

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
kri$han said:
I just moved here to Barrie from Mississauga, and I'm looking for some good, technical XC single track riding.

My friends and I used to to a lot of riding at Hilton Falls and Kelso in Milton; does anyone know how Copeland or Buckwallow compare?
I guess the easiest way to describe it is with a video. Youtube killed the sound so get "Red Right Hand" by Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds and start the song right at the beginning of the video.

These are the more open flowy trails in Copeland where you can get some good speed going, there's also a ton of tight technical stuff and even a few rock gardens here & there. Some of the switchbacks on the side of the valleys are next to impossible, you almost have to wheelie the bike and pivot it around the rear wheel to make it up the turn. Fun stuff.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
shirk said:
Go ride Mansfield and or explore the Creemore area. Some great riding there.
You can only ride Mansfield when events are held there .
No single user access allowed . Been that way for a few seasons now - pity .

·
Muskoka
3,482 Posts
aerius said:
I guess the easiest way to describe it is with a video. These are the more open flowy trails in Copeland where you can get some good speed going, there's also a ton of tight technical stuff and even a few rock gardens here & there. Some of the switchbacks on the side of the valleys are next to impossible, you almost have to wheelie the bike and pivot it around the rear wheel to make it up the turn. Fun stuff.
those Copeland trails look sweet, I have to get over there this year!
Here's a Buckwallow video...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts