Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
My wife and I are considering a quick trip up to Barrett Lake (and probably continuing beyond into Desolation on foot) and I'm hoping to get some up to date info on what the jeep road is like. I rode this a LONG time ago (15-ish years?) and remember really enjoying it. I remember it being somewhat technical, with a few rougher spots, but not too bad overall... but I'm old and my memory is faded... My wife is a solid intermediate rider, but hates hike-a-bike (irritates her lower back) so don't want to get in over her head. Our main goal is to get out in the woods for a bit, whether on bike or foot (or preferably both!), so if it's too techy we would either hike it or pick a different trail.

I'm also wondering if anyone knows the current trail condition - it looks like the road has maybe been closed to jeeps for quite a while, so is perhaps now unmaintained? Looking on Google Earth it looks like there might be quite a few downed trees, etc.

Anyway, if anyone has any info, esp. anyone who has ridden it in the last year or so, we'd greatly appreciate it!

Thanks,
Scott

·
Registered
6,171 Posts
It had been closed to jeeps up until a couple years ago due to greenie lawsuits but problem areas were mitigated and Jeeps are allowed back up there again, but guessing it’s still closed to them this season till things dry out a bit more. Any trees down would have come down over the winter. I would expect her to have some hike a bike sections

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
mtb'er
4,296 Posts
It is a bit of a slog going up (https://www.strava.com/segments/1907717?filter=overall). My gf is an experienced intermediate but I wouldn't take her on it.... not her kind of "fun". She does like the hike over to Enchanted Falls though.

Some pix to run by your wife: https://forums.mtbr.com/california-norcal/barrett-lake-jeep-trail-570978.html
The photos after the lake photo are on the granite behind/above Barrett Lake... just a playground.

This is a nearby underrated ride that she (and you) might like. It is also a bit of a hoof in some places going up (eastbound), but the descent is super fun. Some of it has been cleaned up recently too. https://www.strava.com/segments/8789562?filter=overall

There's a good chance I'm riding Barretts this Sunday. If so, I can provide a better report... if you don't get to it sooner.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses everyone. We headed out there Friday and Saturday and had a fantastic trip. We rode up BLJT for about 4 miles (until near where it intersects with Red Peak Stock trail, which is where we'd be hiking back from). The uphill ride involved a good amount of walking, and a bad amount of mosquitoes, but was still plenty of fun. The trail is mostly clear of trees - maybe 5-7 trail blockers along the whole route. A couple of boggy sections, some rideable, some not... We saw no one else out there, and the backpacking portion of the trip was great - we ditched the bikes in the woods, then hiked about 3 miles into Desolation Wilderness to the creatively named Lake #3, spent a lovely night there, and then enjoyed a good scramble up to Red Peak, and super fun glissade down into Lake Schmidell basin, and then a few miles of snow hiking to hook back up to the Red Peak stock trail which took us back to the jeep trail. Riding with 15-20 lb backpacks wasn't too bad, though it did take its toll on the upper body with all the technical moves required to clean some of the rocky sections of the jeep trail! All in all, a fantastic adventure!
Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel

Bicycle wheel Natural environment Plant Bicycle frame Plant community
Cloud Tree Mountain Cumulus Wilderness
Tire Bicycle wheel Wheel Bicycle frame Bicycles--Equipment and supplies
Mountainous landforms Highland Mountain range Mountain Valley
Rock Stream Bedrock Watercourse Sunglasses
Bicycle wheel Tire Bicycle frame Sports equipment Bicycles--Equipment and supplies
Mountainous landforms Winter Slope Mountain range Glacial landform
Mountainous landforms Highland Mountain range Mountain Valley
Nature Mountainous landforms Mountain range Highland Natural landscape

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.