Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

On installing new derailleur cables is it a good idea to set the shifter barrel adjustments to half way before locking down the cables in the set screws to allow for CW or CCW fine tuning later? Would the same apply to brakes?

I was thinking I would remove the barrels and mark the mid point of the "barrel bolt" with a sharpie. How do the pros do it?

Thanks for any imput,
Sam

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Wind the barrels all the way in and back them up a few turns. If you adjust the shifting properly then you'll most likely be tightening the cables after riding a while vs. loosening them.

Suggestion: buy a good maintenance book. It'll be worth it's weight in gold when you have to fix/replace something right away and the internet just doesn't get the info to you in time or correctly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Agreed. When replacing derailleur cables, I always pre-stretch them as much as possible by shifting to a small cog/ring and pushing the shifter to stretch the cable. They'll still probably stretch a little more, requiring some additional tightening at the barrel adjuster.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Yeah its always a good idea to set them around the half way mark when replacing. In the case of shimano barrel adjuster its when the inside metal part is flush with the outside plastic knob. Once the new cables are set give them a good hard tug to stretch the cable but mainly to fully compress and set the housing and cable ends together (if changing housing too). If any extra slack develops after tugging them tighten the barrel. If its too much slack just release and retention the cable again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.