Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Light freak
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess there has been too much Martha Stewart on our TV at home and it must have rubbed off on me. Been eye-balling some of these Pogie things in the Alaska forums for awhile. Decided to give it a try.

About a 15 year old Gerry laminated jacket that had a busted zipper

An old hoody with a busted zipper

Placed the hoody inside the Gerry jacket as a liner

Made some precision cuts

Tried sewing together on the wifes sewing machine (daughters had a great laugh). D*mn machine didn't have a strong enough motor. When there is a will, there is a way - Locties!

Trimmed up edge

Added some features (technical term = Dart)

Threw them on the bike. D*mn dude, I got me some bar mitts, bra! :thumbsup:

·
Now with 20% more fat!!
2,031 Posts
Nice work... though I wonder, if it was wet out there, if that cotton would absorb a bunch of moisture and then get heavy and frozen? What are the pogies made out of on the outside/inside? Either way, that looks like it would totally do the trick on a frozen morning.

I just picked up a pair of glacier gloves (articulated and lined neoprene gloves). Hoping they do the trick on those long frozen mornings... if not, I now have another idea to try. lol

Great do-it-yourself work, as usual...

·
Light freak
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. From what I can tell and have read, they are not supposed to be a "sealed" fit, but rather just act like wind breakers for your hands. Hands are usually toasty (actually sweaty) on the way up. But just a little air at speed when going downhill across those sweaty gloves is brutal. I know, I know, I do bring 2 pairs of gloves but I wanted to try these. They say you don't have to wear bulky winter gloves, we will see.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Far more fashionable and $65 bucks less than the pro-version. I'd go teal over black any day.

Attachments

·
hehe ...you said "member"
1,121 Posts
goldenboy said:
The craftsmanship shows in the cuff hem and darting. And the zipties show that jailhouse touch.

It looked a bit too good, so I did some checking. That is a total Martha rip off!!:madmax:
LOL ... that Martha is one inventive lady. Shame on you scar.

Actually, I envision an Amoeba/BarMittsBra combo available for purchase within the next 6 months.

·
Light freak
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
First test ride this morning...

and I got to say, they are the SHITZPAH! Not sure what the temperature was this morning at 5am at White Ranch? Seemed pretty warm though. Did the whole ride with no gloves! When we got to the LongHorn/Shorthorn spur off of Belcher, I pulled my bare hands out of my BarMittsBra!'s and they were actually sweating. The real surprise was railing down Belcher back to the cars, my bare hands never felt cold at all. The key seems to be having a wind blocking material on the outside. I laughed when I was able to keep the pit zips from the Gerry jacket, but they are actually quite functional.

goldenboy - that is too funny! I swear it has been a Martha marathon at our house for the last month! And my wife wanders why I tinker around and drink beer out in the garage! I am still amazed that I was able to put it all together with just locties. Didn't even have to bust out my favorite tool - Duct Tape.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.