Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planning a ride out to and up Barlow rd. from Kennedy trail in Sierra azul. Has anyone done this ride going up Kennedy across the ridge to woods then down to and up barlow then back the same way. How far down woods from el Sombroso is the Barlow rd turnoff ? Looks like some good work. :D Brazilian climber and I went close to it ? ... last Saturday and the round trip was 16 miles. :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,157 Posts
Never ridden up Barlow, been down it though. Instead of a out and back on Barlow, consider riding out to Mt. Umunhum Road and catch Barlow from the top and down, gives you some other views of the Cube.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
TahoeBC said:
Never ridden up Barlow, been down it though. Instead of a out and back on Barlow, consider riding out to Mt. Umunhum Road and catch Barlow from the top and down, gives you some other views of the Cube.
Thanks but we plan this one for the warm up to "Kennedy to Hicks" then back the way we came on the dirt also ........ when we grow up ! :thumbsup:
 

·
More Torque
Joined
·
2,037 Posts
ancient rascal said:
Planning a ride out to and up Barlow rd. from Kennedy trail in Sierra azul. Has anyone done this ride going up Kennedy across the ridge to woods then down to and up barlow then back the same way. How far down woods from el Sombroso is the Barlow rd turnoff ? Looks like some good work. :D Brazilian climber and I went close to it ? ... last Saturday and the round trip was 16 miles. :thumbsup:
Did something similar last Saturday. Started in LG, hit up St. Joe's summit, down to Lexington, up overgrown, up dogmeat, right on Kennedy, down Woods, up Barlow and down the pavement. Was planning on riding Quicksilver as well, but it was closed, unfortunately.

It's pretty hard to miss the Barlow turnoff if you are looking for it; it is signed. There is one other overgrown "fake Barlow" on the right before you get to the real one. It's so overgrown though, that you won't be tempted to take it. The Barlow turnoff is past the steep part of the initial Woods descent, and you cross two significant creeks/gullies before you get to the turnoff.

-D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Diesel~ said:
Did something similar last Saturday. Started in LG, hit up St. Joe's summit, down to Lexington, up overgrown, up dogmeat, right on Kennedy, down Woods, up Barlow and down the pavement. Was planning on riding Quicksilver as well, but it was closed, unfortunately.

It's pretty hard to miss the Barlow turnoff if you are looking for it; it is signed. There is one other overgrown "fake Barlow" on the right before you get to the real one. It's so overgrown though, that you won't be tempted to take it. The Barlow turnoff is past the steep part of the initial Woods descent, and you cross two significant creeks/gullies before you get to the turnoff.

-D
Thanks diesel !....I went out to hicks only once 15 to 20 years ago and don't remember a sign for barlow but maybe I just blew past it. Never knew there was even another road/trail out there till we talked with a guy last Saturday. He said barlow was hella steep.....so we have to go climb it then suffer all the way home. Just bought a mini pump and a few tools at performance so i am ready to go. ;) :D :skep: :thumbsup:
 

·
Slowest Rider
Joined
·
5,237 Posts
Barlow Rd. is a regular training route for me, but I start from my closer side of the mountain. I've done it twice in the last month, once going up to see the snow further up Mt. Umunhum Rd.

But I can't climb that hella steep Barlow road. I instead go up the paved Mt. Umunhum Rd that's just at the limit of what I can climb on the bike, then down Barlow, and back on Woods, or over the top and down Kennedy.

I find it hard to believe there's riders who can actually climb up that hella steep slippery rutty road. Have fun!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BigLarry said:
Barlow Rd. is a regular training route for me, but I start from my closer side of the mountain. I've done it twice in the last month, once going up to see the snow further up Mt. Umunhum Rd.

But I can't climb that hella steep Barlow road. I instead go up the paved Mt. Umunhum Rd that's just at the limit of what I can climb on the bike, then down Barlow, and back on Woods, or over the top and down Kennedy.

I find it hard to believe there's riders who can actually climb up that hella steep slippery rutty road. Have fun!
The dude brazilian climber and I talked to said the same thing. My riding and mtbr buddy Soar's said it is nothing like going up dogmeat. Sounds like I'm gonna go down in a heap trying to clean that on my SS'er. That kind of a challenge is exactly what I am excited about. Thanks ! :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
TahoeBC said:
If it was 20 years ago you were poaching and is the reason there was no sign, had to listen for the sound of Banjo's back then ;)
Yeah the troublemaker was out and about but I think they were working on a buy out of a piece of property as only a small part of the trail was on his property I think. :confused: Maybe barlow was not posted at the time ? We used to go out to el sombroso and yell hillbilly f. you and act like idiots.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
Joined
·
8,610 Posts
ancient rascal said:
Planning a ride out to and up Barlow rd. from Kennedy trail in Sierra azul. Has anyone done this ride going up Kennedy across the ridge to woods then down to and up barlow then back the same way. How far down woods from el Sombroso is the Barlow rd turnoff ? Looks like some good work. :D Brazilian climber and I went close to it ? ... last Saturday and the round trip was 16 miles. :thumbsup:
What time were you thinking about starting at Kennedy from? I just might be tempted to join you. I've been thinking about heading out to the Hicks direction from Woods rather than the Alma Bridge direction, but haven't done it yet (I'd rather hear the sound of joggers talking about their wrong Starbucks order rather than hearing hillbillies telling me to squeal like a pig). I normally leave my house at around 9:00-9:30ish, takes about 1/2 hour for me to get to [email protected]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,751 Posts
Yes, I have done that ride from Los Gatos: up Overgrown, Limekiln, Woods, Barlow, but it was getting dark, so I went back over the road (Mt Umunhum, Hicks, Shannon, Kennedy).
Barlow is less steep than any of the walls of Kennedy. It's a well marked fire road, not to be mistaken with an obscure overgrown trail you'll see going up the hill at a landslide area with some netting on Woods. Climbing back on Woods to Kennedy will be harder than riding Barlow.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Leopold Porkstacker said:
What time were you thinking about starting at Kennedy from? I just might be tempted to join you. I've been thinking about heading out to the Hicks direction from Woods rather than the Alma Bridge direction, but haven't done it yet (I'd rather hear the sound of joggers talking about their wrong Starbucks order rather than hearing hillbillies telling me to squeal like a pig). I normally leave my house at around 9:00-9:30ish, takes about 1/2 hour for me to get to [email protected]
10 oclock start time will work. Only thing is which day. Brazilian climber is out it looks like for this weekend and not sure if my other buds/usually Sunday guys are gonna want to play this one. I am not real fast on the SS'er and not in your league of riding also. Leaning towards Saturday but who knows this early in the game. It is a good one for ft. gains for sure ! :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,135 Posts
I did this last year, although I went down Dogmeat instead of taking the Kennedy ridge (just because I'd never been on Dogmeat before).

Barlow Rd is a good climb - I wasn't expecting it. I cleaned it at the time but I was in training for a ridiculous Coe ride - not sure how I'd go today. Climbing Barlow was recon for an assault on Mt Um that never happened last year.

Quicksilver was open at the time so I did the loop. This ride would be fun in reverse.
 

·
Slowest Rider
Joined
·
5,237 Posts
JL de Jong said:
Yes, I have done that ride from Los Gatos: up Overgrown, Limekiln, Woods, Barlow, but it was getting dark, so I went back over the road (Mt Umunhum, Hicks, Shannon, Kennedy).
Barlow is less steep than any of the walls of Kennedy. It's a well marked fire road, not to be mistaken with an obscure overgrown trail you'll see going up the hill at a landslide area with some netting on Woods. Climbing back on Woods to Kennedy will be harder than riding Barlow.
I've personally seen riders going up Barlow while I'm coming down, and I know you've climbed it before, so it's possible.

I personally think the Barlow slope, especially at the beginning, is steeper than the climb up Woods to El Sombroso. That El Sombroso climb ascends 1000' in little over a mile of riding, or about 15-20% slope average. It's steeper than Kennedy on average, which at 2000' over 4 miles is ~10%. I can ride up all of Kennedy but only less steep sections of the others.

However, from memory of the difficulty, Barlow may be similar or less steep than the rollers at the upper part of Kennedy, which are also killer steep, and you've also ridden up! :thumbsup:

I can only handle extended climbs of about a 15% slope on the bike, so I can't personally evaluate those climbs other than by my descents. In years past, the short bottom section of Barlow is so steep, rutted, and slippery, that I had to walk down it, maybe 25% slope or higher. But that section has got much better with some regrading of the initial section about two years ago. Maybe that's why you can do it now. I have no problem descending it now.

Anyway, it'll be a fun challenge for all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,135 Posts
BigLarry said:
I personally think the Barlow slope, especially at the beginning, is steeper than the climb up Woods to El Sombroso. That El Sombroso climb ascends 1000' in about a mile of riding, or about 20% slope average. It's steeper than Kennedy on average, which at 2000' over 4 miles is ~10%.
Yeah.. the initial climb is 25%. That first hill averages about 14.4% over 0.6 mi. It will work up a sweat. The whole of Barlow between the lap markers....

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ratpick said:
Yeah.. the initial climb is 25%. That first hill averages about 14.4% over 0.6 mi. It will work up a sweat. The whole of Barlow between the lap markers....

Dang.....Sounds like a SS'er is not gonna work on that climb real well ! :skep: I can't wait for the weekend ! ;) :D :p :thumbsup: :rolleyes:
 

·
Slowest Rider
Joined
·
5,237 Posts
ratpick said:
Yeah.. the initial climb is 25%. That first hill averages about 14.4% over 0.6 mi. It will work up a sweat. The whole of Barlow between the lap markers....
Nice plot. Yea, that first 1/2 mile with 500' of climb is the concern. It starts with the > 25% slope then drops to between 10% and 20% slope.

What the graph doesn't capture is the nasty deep ruts and very slippery eroded road at the steepest start section at the T intersection with Woods. But that's been improved greatly a couple years ago. Smaller ruts, and a little less slippery now. So far it's staying good.
 

·
Slowest Rider
Joined
·
5,237 Posts
ancient rascal said:
Dang.....Sounds like a SS'er is not gonna work on that climb real well ! :skep: I can't wait for the weekend ! ;) :D :p :thumbsup: :rolleyes:
Well, it's pretty short, so it's a quick walk up the nasty part if you insist on going that way.

Personally, as mentioned before, I have a lot more fun going up the less steep paved Mt. Umunhum Rd. and then down Barlow. Depends on what you can do, I suppose.
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top