1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The wheels you suggested were reviewed to be pretty weak. Multiple people allegedly had problems with their durability. On the other hand, in the thread you linked and another from this site the Maddux set were hailed for their beefiness.

I'm not trying to burn you or anything but the ones from BWW seem to be a lesser wheel.

Also, I understand that a handbuilt set is usually superior and the lack of info for the Maddux set is unnerving.

Decisions, decisions...

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
Rims are only as good as the build...rim reviews on MTBR are worthless as there are way too many variables that go into them. Unless every rim is built to the same quality standard, you cannot fairly review them. That said, there is one review on MTBR and it gives them a 4 out of 5 so I'm wondering where your getting your info?

I ran DS2 rims (same as the DS1 but with weaker pin construction) for a couple years on an AM rig and had zero issues with them. They were even machine built, though like all wheels I get that I didn't build myself...I tensioned and trued them before installing them on my bike.

But again, ask yourself...you break a spoke or tweak a rim, or blow a FH Body on those Maddux wheels...where are the replacement parts going to come from and how long will it take to get them...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
1 - 5 of 5 Posts