Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Wanna ride bikes?
9,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MRP has a new promotional video for their new "downcountry" Ribbon fork. The video shows a rider sniping a Strava segment on mostly flat/buff trail on a Pivot with Enve wheels. It's pretty meh until the end where he does a lame skid, checks his Strava, see's the KOM, then celebrates.

That's when I threw up in my mouth a little bit.

I don't know why but this video just rubs me the wrong way.

·
Premium Member
10,753 Posts
So, I was in Oak Ridge Oregon last week, we were shuttling to the top of Alpine trail, it's a fourteen mile single tracks through a mix of old and new growth, mostly intermediate, a very nice trail to say the least.

My wife and I ride for pleasure, I ride fast at times, but I also llike to cruise, stop and take pics, tec...

There was a guy on the shuttle who was talking about how fast the trail could be ridden, suggesting that he was going to hammer it and see how his skills/speed compare. He was talking about Strava and KOM's.

I'm not a Strava user, I assume KOM means "the fastest time of completion for that trail segment".

Anyways, he took off, we never saw him again, we had fun, hopefully he enjoyed himself as well.

That video of Noah riding is an XC racers dream, he did get the KOM on a trail segment that gets a fair number of users, so I assume that means Noah is fast as shite.

MRP is selling the Ribbon SL for folks who like that stuff.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
There was a guy on the shuttle who was talking about how fast the trail could be ridden, suggesting that he was going to hammer it and see how his skills/speed compare. He was talking about Strava and KOM's.

I'm not a Strava user, I assume KOM means "the fastest time of completion for that trail segment".
This has existed since before Strava. I used to have a stopwatch on my bars!

·
GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
3,844 Posts
MRP has a new promotional video for their new "downcountry" Ribbon fork. The video shows a rider sniping a Strava segment on mostly flat/buff trail on a Pivot with Enve wheels. It's pretty meh until the end where he does a lame skid, checks his Strava, see's the KOM, then celebrates.

That's when I threw up in my mouth a little bit.

I don't know why but this video just rubs me the wrong way.
Sorry you didn't like it, but that's okay, we all have different tastes. Based on the fleet of bikes described in your signature, we're probably on different ends of the MTB spectrum.

Enjoy your ride(s) this weekend and thanks for sharing the video!

·
Registered
615 Posts
^^^Classy

I use to think I knew the only way to enjoy things. Now I see, if you like it and it's not hurting anybody, have at it and more power to ya, even if it's not "my thing."

·
Rides all the bikes!
4,489 Posts
Sometimes I like to ride my bike for KOM's uphill.
Sometimes I like to ride my bike for KOM's downhill.

Sometimes, I like to ride my bike with no goal at all, just to be on my bike.

None of these are the right, or wrong way to ride a bike.

·
Wanna ride bikes?
9,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sometimes I like to ride my bike for KOM's uphill.
Sometimes I like to ride my bike for KOM's downhill.

Sometimes, I like to ride my bike with no goal at all, just to be on my bike.

None of these are the right, or wrong way to ride a bike.
^ Winner.

·
mbtr member
6,503 Posts
Sorry you didn't like it, but that's okay, we all have different tastes. Based on the fleet of bikes described in your signature, we're probably on different ends of the MTB spectrum.

Enjoy your ride(s) this weekend and thanks for sharing the video!
i liked the ad/video, and you beat my time, hahaha. It was a great edit and i nostalgia-ed hard seeing that trail.

It's cool to see a different interpretation of the sport than how i relate to it- a mix of sightseeing/rollercoastering/skills building.

That said, chasing KOMs on mtb is a bit of a mystery to me. Trails change day to week to year, so a <.25% improvement seems meaningless. And i've seen a surprising amount of douchery in the name of STRAVA. So seeing that attitude advertised as a reason to buy stuff or even to go ride also made me a little uncomfortable... but i liked the edit. I don't know. Promoting strava online racing seems icky, though.

Cool ad, but i'm chalking the KOM up to gps error. :p

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.