Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
cross post from drivetrain, y'all run some Mary's

Will shimano 9 speed barend shifters fit up into the On-One Mary bars? I’m working on a janky project that will probably need a barend shifter that is indexed but can also be friction for the rear. I know I can buy the Paul thumbies but this project might not work and I don’t want to drop the cash for the thumbies until I know that this drivetrain actually works.

On a related note does anyone use Friction shifters for their rear derrailer? If so what kind do you use? Are there other good friction shifters that mount on the handlebars?

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
BrandonNorCal said:
cross post from drivetrain, y'all run some Mary's

Will shimano 9 speed barend shifters fit up into the On-One Mary bars? I'm working on a janky project that will probably need a barend shifter that is indexed but can also be friction for the rear. I know I can buy the Paul thumbies but this project might not work and I don't want to drop the cash for the thumbies until I know that this drivetrain actually works.

On a related note does anyone use Friction shifters for their rear derrailer? If so what kind do you use? Are there other good friction shifters that mount on the handlebars?

[I see your friction requirement], otherwise I'd ask why the heck you'd want to do that, since the Mary's will work with any "traditional" shifters.

I used my 9spd DA bar-end shifters on Paul mounts in friction mode when I got some ghost-shifting mid-ride, and couldn't figure out how to make it go away with the barrel adjuster. It works fine, but isn't nearly as convenient as indexed shifting.

My only dislike of the Shimano bar-ends on the Paul's is the arc from one end to the other (> 90 degrees?). I found it to be annoyingly wide, especially on the low-end, and why I ultimately moved to Mary bars and trad shifters (was using the Paul's with Jones bars).

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm setting up a 3 speed casette that will probably not have correct 9 speed indexing which is the reason for friction. I wanted to put the shimano bar end shifter in the actual Mary Bar end until I figure out if it works. Then if it does I'll get the Thumbies to relocate the shifter.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
You know the bar end shifters are addons to the reglar (952 I think) Shimano brake/shifter combo? I don't think you can just mount the bar end shifters alone, there certain holes and stops that they have to hook up to on the main shift levers for them to work. If I remember right there was only one for the rear cluster.

·
Welsh Dave
254 Posts
I think the inner diameter of Mary bars (and other MTB bars) is too tight for bar-con type shifters.

The thinner wall-thickness of road bars (which bar-cons are designed for) means the inner diameter is larger.

So thumbies only on the Mary bars.

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
Or just salvage any of the old friction shifters from mountain bikes. I have a set lying in my basement when I converted my early 90's Raleigh CX to drop bars and bar cons. Old school 29er :D

·
Registered
180 Posts
I use a Rivendell "Silver" branded friction shifter on Albatross bars to shift a 2007 XT RD with a 7 speed cassette - works exceptionally well.
Don't think the Shimano bar-ends will fit a Mary bar, though.
Just a heads up, Nashbar has "5 Speed" Sun Race shifters on sale for 99 cents - they don't specifically mention they are friction but they must be because indexed shifting came around after 5 speed...

·
Registered
180 Posts
Oh yeah, I should also mention that I filed down the three metal "inserts" that expand when you tighten a bar end plug. I did this on a Suntour bar-end to get it to fit into a Nitto bar with the same inner diameter of a MTB bar on one of my wife's bikes. It took some time and patience but it worked fine. I've also heard of folks cutting a section of PVC that will fit into a MTB bar into three sections to replace the original metal inserts on the shifter.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Funny this has been coming up lately- I've currently got a beater bike set-up with Dura-ace barends in friction mode, a moustache bar, and a Campy Record OR derailluer (the one and only off-road group ever made by the big C to my knowledge) moving across 8 speeds. Works sweet, friction definitely has it's advantages, and if everything today was built as well as this ancient derailleur, we'd all be spending a lot less money.

·
Welsh Dave
254 Posts
Mike Brown said:
... Works sweet, friction definitely has it's advantages, and if everything today was built as well as this ancient derailleur, we'd all be spending a lot less money.
Agreed.
I'm still using Deore and Suntour XC Pro thumbies; Shimano and Campag bar-cons; Ultegra (?) bar-cons on Paul Comp thumbie mounts.

All work great with just a bit of adjustment necessary to suit different bar/ cassette set-ups.
Risers, flats, Marys, drops, 7-8-9-10 speed...

I've had a wallet-full of groupset "Integration" (meaning non-compatibility). It can be a real pain when you you need to fix a problem and none of the flimsy bling in your parts bin is compatible.

[grabs woollen shirt & stick-on beard and grumbles off to the Rivendell Bikes site...;) ]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.