Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Chumley for prez!
445 Posts
I think aircraft paint stipper is the method of choice around here.....I'm thinking about doing this to my 6point and getting some old style IH decals printed up in fluoro green. Should look killer and drop a bit of weight (not much, but some).

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
mr. welcorn said:
I think aircraft paint stipper is the method of choice around here.....
Speedub.Nate posted a a tutorial on stripping and polishing a MkIII rear triangle. He reported that chemical paint strippers worked well for removing the outer layer of paint, but that the epoxy primer was impervious to the stuff. (See his post for more details.) In the end, he used various abrasives to remove the epoxy primer.

The end result looked pretty good, but it took more time and effort than I'd be willing to put into something like that.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think ya'll are maybe misunderstanding what I am asking. I am wondering if you can purchase just a MKIII frame painted or not. I have a frame that is cracked but has all top end componets on it that I could build a really nice 5" bike with.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Shoalwater said:
I think ya'll are maybe misunderstanding what I am asking. I am wondering if you can purchase just a MKIII frame painted or not. I have a frame that is cracked but has all top end componets on it that I could build a really nice 5" bike with.
Randall Scott used to have MkIII frames, but it looks like they're out. Your best bet, I think, is to keep an eye on ebay for a frame.

If you already have a MkIII frame with a cracked rear triangle, I know for a fact that new rear triangles are being sold on ebay.

·
GAME ON!
4,965 Posts
they were never available in raw, so no. there was a silver/grey one, but i'm not sure if you'd be able to find one.

·
Chumley for prez!
445 Posts
I did misunderstand you...sorry! What type of frame are you coming from that you cracked? Only reason I ask is that MK3's also have a history of cracked rear triangles. I'm not trying to change your mind, because they ride great, but depending on how aggressively you ride you could be back in the same boat 6 months down the road. Good luck on Ebay.

·
Banned
510 Posts
Stripping an entire frame does not have a 'look' to it. A raw frame with heat-flashes on it is what most everyone wants to be emulating with this fad.
Why not do like the last generation SUNDAY, leave the rear-stays raw and/or polished, and paint the most of the frame itself? I would, if I had a scratch on my Metallic-Black 6POINT.:D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.