Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love the barcons and 9 speed, and have run a Dura Ace with the Pauls thumbie for years. I am building a new bike that will have 10 speed. Please set me straight on my options, both Shimano and SRAM.

Shimano: Is the new 10 speed barcon shifter compatible with 10 speed XTR, and XT rear derailers? I have read it is not compatible with Dyna Sys.

SRAM: Does the SRAM TT900 barcon work with XX, XO, X9? I have read that it only works with Red and Force road groups. I hope not, because this is the way I want to go. Also, will this barcon even work on a Pauls Thumbie adapter?

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
As far as Shimano goes, their new 10 speed rear derailleurs have a different cable pull than 10 speed road derailleurs. So road shifters will not work with any of the 10 speed mountain rear derailleurs. If you want to do this you will have to use a road derailleur, or you should be able to use a 9 speed mountain derailleur, running a 10 speed chain with a 9 speed rear derailleur is not a problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.