Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purchased a new trail bike. Came with 760mm bars. I don't dislike the width, other than clipping trees and face planting. lol.
What are you guys running for Long Island and Upstate?

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Some pretty tight trails where I ride in CT. Like many long time riders, I used to ride old school XC bikes with short bars. Being 6'4" with long arms, every time I got a new bike with wider bars I really liked them.

My 2018 Kona came with 800mm bars but I had to swap them out right away for 40mm risers to improve riding position. I ended up with Renthal FatBars (alu) that are 760mm. The 800's are a just a tad too wide for my trails...I love the 760's.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Some pretty tight trails where I ride in CT. Like many long time riders, I used to ride old school XC bikes with short bars. Being 6'4" with long arms, every time I got a new bike with wider bars I really liked them.

My 2018 Kona came with 800mm bars but I had to swap them out right away for 40mm risers to improve riding position. I ended up with Renthal FatBars (alu) that are 760mm. The 800's are a just a tad too wide for my trails...I love the 760's.
I am much smaller than you. Think I'm going to give 740s a try.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
For reference (I'm not in New York)....my MTB bars are around 31", can't remember exactly, but back in the day I cut my dirt bike bars down to 30.5. Shocking to me that my MTB bars are wider than the dirt bike.

Unless there is a good reason, like your reasoning with tight trails, the wider bars on these bigger bikes is quite nice and no need to go too narrow like the 'olden days'.

I picked a bad line on a trail I'd never ridden the other day, I had to do the dance of twisting the bars between trees to fit. Unfortunately I started a chain reaction of being follow by a person picking my line, likewise, the two guys behind him also took my bad line. My little bike would have fit right through.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.