Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Ive been experimenting for a while , after a bit of advice if poss.

I started with a 690 aluminium bar 15mm rise with a 90mm stem 7 degree rise , on a 29er , I wanted to sharpen up the handling it felt a bit cumbersome at times ,

Brought a thomson 730 Carbon bar 12 mm rise , and have 2 stems 70mm and 80mm 0 degree rise, that Ive used with it .

My favorite combination is the 70mm stem and thomson bar for handling and comfort while riding , it feels perfect while on the bike but been pulling up feeling a little back soreness well after the ride .

Ive been thinking maybe the hands are a little low , perhaps I need a little rise , am I likely to notice a difference if I went with a 70 mm stem that had a 10 degree rise ? Or is that going to make very little difference .

Any help appreciated , Thanks .

·
Registered
56 Posts
It's definitely hard to say what the right answer for you is but I can lend my 2 cents. I would say raise it with spacers or if you are at the max height limit, slap the 80mm back on with the bars you like and see if that helps your pain. That's easy, and costs nothing. If you are just noticing back pain it could be that your hunched over and that would help with that. Also verify that your saddle positioning is correct. good luck.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I keep multiple stems in the garage just to expiment with as well. 29ers run higher in the front end due to 3" of extra wheel matched to lower BB height. I don't know your size but a lot of people run the stem inverted on 29ers as do I with a flat bar. I find flat bars with more backsweep, like 11 degress - Salsa bars are comfy. I've read other forums where dudes complained of back pain until they lowered the front end of the 29er. I usually try to keep my bar/saddle height close, bars usually end up 1/2"-1" higher.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The stem is as high as it goes,

Its an odd one , there is no discomfort while riding , it kicks in later an hour or two after I ride , lower back glute hip area, but while riding im loving the feel ,

My older set up which is 20 mm longer in the stem , 40 mm narrower in the bars and slightly higher , doesnt handle as well or is as much fun to ride , but no back pain ,

With the 80 mm stem , I feel like im stretching too far with the wider bars .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.