Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to run bar ends on all my bikes back in the late 90's when they came stock on bikes but switched to riser bars when they became the standard. I am thinking about going back to a flat bar with bar ends on my race bike after seeing a few guys running them over the weeked at a race. What are the pros and cons of switching? I don't need the 1" of rise I am getting from my riser, I know I might add a small amount of weight but I am not concerned with that.

·
Helmetless Crasher
1,071 Posts
Cons: style and weight

Pros: style, great leverage and power position when climbing out of the saddle, multiple hand positions available for extended XC

W/ the advent of FS, seated climbing became the norm. Standing and cranking/torquing a FS bike up a hill is quite inefficient. So the need for bar ends died with the popularity of FS bikes. Uber wide gullwing handlebars provide better leverage for seated climbing than a narrow xc bar w/ bar ends.

·
Bro Mountainbiker
3,583 Posts
Im on a single speed equipped with fsa slk 620mm carbon bars and titec micro bar ends.
The 620mm bars without the ends are worthless for extended climbs but with the bar ends it makes a huge difference. And I am always out of the saddle yankin on em.

The weight is also comparable to wider bars without ends.
Niner carbon bar- 175g
Fsa Slk 136g + ritchey wcs 65g= 201g

So 26g weight penalty with about 8 cm more "tree clearance" and multiple hand positions.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The race I just finished had some long but gental climbs, they were long enough that I was wishing for bar ends.

What is the thoughts on the 11 or 17 degree sweep on some of these flat bars? I think the norm was like 5 degree in the past.

By the way I just switched from a FS XC bike back to a hardtail for the first time in 5 years so I am re-learning how to ride a hardtail efficiently.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I use them for seated climbing on my hardtail, they seem to help leverage a bit, also i think it is good to move about a bit, helping you core and back. Down side is if you catch one on a branch or sapling on a steep single track downhill!

·
mnoutain bkie rdier
2,823 Posts
Ohhhhhhhhh noooooooooooo

go here for "opinions"::eek:

http://forums.mtbr.com/endurance-racing/why-so-few-bar-ends-seen-these-days-566274.html

IMO, those who rarely stand and climb will not see a huge benefit to bar ends. I stand quite a bit (got in habit from SS days and road biking) and hate the feel of climbing out of saddle w/o bar ends. When standing/climbing, w/o them, I feel like a t-rex on a bike:p

Nearly everyone I watch stand and climb w/o them looks like said t-rex..aka..awkward.

When standing on a climb on my road bike, I go to the hoods for this exact same reason:thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Helmetless Crasher
1,071 Posts
What is the thoughts on the 11 or 17 degree sweep on some of these flat bars? I think the norm was like 5 degree in the past.
The ends will be more succeptible to getting "hung-up" on things as, depending on the type of end, they may be slightly splayed-out on bars w/ that much sweep.

That is the only true "con" I can see to using ends (and that's only w/ a super wide swept-back bar). Otherwise, the added hand positions made available by them, alone, makes them desireable.

their absence is largely dictated by fashion, me thinks (but I happen to like the look of horns" on my bikes)

·
Registered
218 Posts
I would never ride a HT without bar ends. I have had them on my bikes since my first pair of Onza's back in early 90s. Along with the standard pro's, I have found a new one - they help with my tennis elbow.

On a side note, even though I don't use bar ends on a FS bike, I still climb out of saddle a lot. I love my Special Ed brain shock :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Got rid of the bar ends after changing from rigid to suspension fork. Don't like to stand so much now and just don't feel I need them anymore. Also much more space on the bar now for the hands.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I used them in the 90s, went FS and got rid of them, also considering going back now that I'm a steady HT rider again.

I think the course has a lot to do with it, if there is no sustained climbing there is no point. However, I do find L-bends useful on flat road sections- I learn forward and get into a comfy aero position.

·
Registered
195 Posts
its a fashion thing, I run shortie bar ends on FSA low riser bars, gives me great leverage on my hardtail, and hand relief.I read an article awhile back in MBT action and they inspired me to go back to bar ends, said they still are useful fro certain types of riding.

·
Registered
348 Posts
bar end on the Tallboy

Is it weird? I put a pair of bar ends on my Tallboy for the 24hr race this weekend at Conyer Horse park. I LOVE bar ends on all my HT SS and gears bikes. I haven't try it with the fs yet. We'll see. I love the different hand positions and the leverage when going up hill on the SS. I'm so used to it that climbing without bar ends feel really weird.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have had 2 shoulder surgeries, each time I went through 6-8 weeks of physical therapy. If you have ever been through physical therapy with a shoulder injury you most likely did arm lifts with light weights and you did it so that your thumbs would be pointing up when your arms are out in front of you. The point is your shoulders, arms and hands are more natural in that position like you would be with bar ends. Had I had bar ends on my bike during one of my rides I most likely would not have injured it when I pulled up hard on the bars to come out of a ravine. Both my Orthopedic surgeon and physical therapist agree that bar ends are good to have.

·
Bro Mountainbiker
3,583 Posts
Is it weird? I put a pair of bar ends on my Tallboy for the 24hr race this weekend at Conyer Horse park. I LOVE bar ends on all my HT SS and gears bikes. I haven't try it with the fs yet. We'll see. I love the different hand positions and the leverage when going up hill on the SS. I'm so used to it that climbing without bar ends feel really weird.
Conyers would suck for a 24 hour race! Last time I rode there, the trail was fun, but it was seriously rough. I cant wait to go back to Atlanta and ride my home trails.

As for the bar ends, I swear by em, but i actually took em off for the "dead dog" Trussville AL race this weekend. Short punchy climbs dont warrant bar ends. They really shine on the long extended/steep ones.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.